Transvaginal ultrasound

By December 17, 2016 - 8:51am

I had pressure and pain like a UTI. My gynecologist had me take an transvaginal ultrasound. Has anyone have the test? What are they looking for?

Hello, Bettyboop63!

A transvaginal ultrasound is a type of pelvic ultrasound used to examine female reproductive organs. This includes the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, cervix, and vagina. “Transvaginal” means “through the vagina.”

Here are a few reasons a transvaginal ultrasound might be necessary:
-an abnormal pelvic or abdominal exam
-unexplained vaginal bleeding
-pelvic pain
-an ectopic pregnancy (when the fetus implants outside of the uterus, typically, in the fallopian tubes)
-checking for cysts or uterine fibroids

I've had this done a few times for ovarian cysts. I Hope this helps.