Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

What are these small red spots on my skin?

By Anonymous May 14, 2013 - 7:02pm
Rate This

I've had a couple of these spots ever since I can remember but I'd say within the past year or so I've come up with more. They are mostly on my arms and hands. They don't itch or bother me at all but I don't have insurance so I can't see a dermatologist.

Add a Comment1 Comments


Hello Anonymous,

Without seeing these spots, it is difficult to suggest a diagnosis. Do the spots resemble those in this photo?
If so, they can be petechiae, which are pinpoint, round spots that appear on the skin as a result of bleeding under the skin. Petechiae commonly appear in clusters and may look like a rash. Usually flat to the touch, they do not lose color when you press on them.

Petechiae may indicate a number of conditions, ranging from minor blood vessel injuries to serious medical conditions, such as idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura or vitamin K deficiency.

I understand that having no health insurance make going to see the doctor, let alone a dermatologist, results in a major financial burden. Is there a health clinic at your local hospital? In some locations, there are specialty clinics that offer patients medical care at little or no cost.

I hope that you do have this looked at .


May 15, 2013 - 5:13am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.