Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

What is the best kind of doctor to see for diseases in multiple body system, but are to rare for a family doctor to treat?

By Anonymous March 14, 2009 - 7:18pm
Rate This

I see an endocrinologist, a psychologist, a GI, an ob-gyn, and countless other doctors for three conditions that are very specific to each discipline. My family doctor has a grasp on what these conditions are, but I need to see a university doctor in order to get experimental treatments. Is there any doctor who could be a go-between or someone who will help me put together the pieces?

Add a Comment2 Comments

Since you are interested in some experimental treatments, I would find out what the doctor's research interests are. Many doctors have "bios" posted on the internet, or you can call the office and ask if any of the doctors specialize in the condition/treatment you are seeking help with. Some University doctors are on the front-lines of working with the most current technology and treatment options; performing clinical trials and research in very specific areas. Good luck!

March 15, 2009 - 8:50pm

Great question, I believe that Internal Medicine physicians have a more "wholistic" training of the multiple body systems. It is not unusual to find an IM doctor trained in GYN, Endo and even mental health. I think you could start with one. Most physician listings will identify the additional especialty, board certification and/or training.

March 14, 2009 - 9:55pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.