It is the time of year for new beginnings and fresh starts, particularly in the area of healthier living. The thought of starting an intense exercise and healthier eating program can be overwhelming. One way to take the first step toward a healthier life is to incorporate a small food change into your routine once a day. This can be in the form of a healthy weight loss shake that you can make yourself and is delicious and be filling.
Five servings of vegetables and fruits are recommended daily so that we can achieve a nutritional balance. This is hard to accomplish in an on the go pace that many of us have. We have adopted the habit of stopping by a fast food drive through to grab a burger or kids meal which has little to no nutritional value.
Children also tend to mirror the habits of adults and start even to crave fast food or grab as you go snacks. Homemade shakes provide a solution by not only giving us the nutrition that our bodies need but can be made to order quickly and taken on the go.
5 Shake Recipes for a Healthier You
Take a look at these delicious easy to prepare healthy recipes for Shakes:
- Add one cup of low-fat yogurt to a blender.
- Add four medium-size strawberries with tops removed and one banana.
- Add three teaspoons of honey.
- You may also add one scoop of protein powder.
- For a thinner consistency also add five ice cubes (I like mine without ice cubes).
- Blend for 20 seconds or until desired consistency.
- Any leftover shake can be out into the freezer for a frozen treat later on.
Vegetable shakes are also very popular and deliver a high amount of nutrients. Try adding your favorite vegetable to a juicer after removing the top layer of skin that may have some chemicals on it. Add a cup of low-fat yogurt. Consider adding one teaspoon of lemon to help with the taste.
Orange Juice Shake
- Add 6 oz of orange juice to a blender with ½ cup of low-fat yogurt and ½ cup of skim milk.
- Next, add ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract and ice cubes to help with the consistency.
- I also like to add two teaspoons of honey for a sweeter taste.
- Blend 2 scoops of protein powder with ¾ cup of pineapple (fresh pineapple ideal).
- Add 10 ounces of water.
- May also add five ice cubes if thinner consistency desired.
- Add ½ mango, peeled to a blender with one cup of low-fat yogurt.
- Add one scoop of protein powder and blend.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.