Choosing your LASIK eye surgeon is one of the most significant healthcare decisions you will ever make if you need to undergo the surgery. You should consider several factors when choosing the LASIK Surgeon such as a vision center with a reputation for patient satisfaction, an experienced and a board certified surgeon.
A successful Lasik surgery highly depends on the experience, knowledge and expertise of the eye surgeon.
You should therefore take time to find the best lasik surgeon as this decision will be your lifetime investment. Here are certain things you must look for while choosing the LASIK surgeon:
• Ask for recommendations from your relatives, friends or colleagues who have got their LASIK.
• Ask the eye care professionals such as optometrist, ophthalmologist or regular eye care practitioners.
• Check out the advertisements of the clinics offering LASIK facility in your ares and find their reputation as well as reviews from patients getting LASIK surgery.
• Some clinics offer discounts and offers but do not consider the price while choosing the surgeon since that should be your first priority
• Go through the online list of best surgeons in your city and nearby regions. These will be time savers as they contain essential information about the surgeons their specialization, board certifications, experience and number of surgeries performed which will help to refine your search.
• Create your list after search and try to gather more information through various links especially about the clinics they practice in or visit regularly and also the patient’s review.
• Check more details especially about the membership and board certification of the surgeon to ensure that they have undergone proper training and is educated properly to become a LASIK specialist.
• You can take help of LASIK surgeon directory to search a highly qualified surgeon near you.
Try finding a LASIK surgeon who has specialized in different refractive error surgeries as they can guide you better about the various options if you do not qualify for the surgery. Though you can gather more information about the surgeon under whom you want to get your LASIK surgery done, there are many questions you should ask him/her personally to get assurance with the best surgeon you have chosen.
Here is the list of questions you must ask to your surgeon before agreeing for the surgery
• Number of LASIK surgeries done by the surgeon
• Complication rate of the surgery
• Whether the surgery center is his/her own or he/she visits there
• The rate of the surgeries performed by the surgeon successfully
• If the surgery center has cases where the patient experienced any eye infection outbreak and if yes then ask for the causes
• Charges of enhancement post surgery if required
• Policies regarding the follow-ups and the charges
• Financing options accepted by the surgeon
• Would you get the itemized bill for the LASIK surgery procedure
After satisfying with the surgeon’s answers, you must visit the surgery centre once and find out these following things:
• Equipments and technology available at the center
• Cleanliness, hygiene and tidiness of the centre as it reduces the chances of any infection outbreak
• Patient care quality of the surgery centre and the rate of patient satisfaction at the facility
• Behavior of the center staff i.e. ensure they are cooperative and supportive while you deal with them for the billing as well as during the follow-ups
Once you have narrowed down your selection for the LASIK surgeon, chat with your friends, relatives or co-workers who have used the vision center, ask the vision center for their patient testimonials, check their report card, surf the internet for the real patient reviews. Follow the above mentioned tips and your efforts to find the best LASIK surgeon for your eyes and get an improved vision for lifetime. Invest your time now to choose the right LASIK surgeon for you as this decision will pay dividends for improved vision for years to come.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.