I wanted to share my Plan B story because I have been so terrified the last couple weeks that I promised myself I would post my story since other posts have helped me. I took Plan B 25 days ago - 5 hrs after being FOOLISH and having unprotected sex during a fertile time. I have been on a progesterone only birth control pill but was using it erratically. I freaked out and decided to take Plan B even though he pulled out (not a method by the way - I have a nine month old due to that method...yes, screwed up twice).
Long story short, I bled 6 days after Plan B for three days (light/med) and then I decide to go off my progesterone birth control because my body was such a mess. I had another light period 5 days after my Plan B period (I think it was due to stopping the progesterone). I have been scared to death since taking Plan B but I have taken four pregnancy tests (starting 20 days after the deed) and took one urine test today at the doctors - all NEGATIVE. Doctor says to stay off google and accept that it is negative (I've been having serious anxiety). Needless to say, my system is so messed up and I have no idea when to expect my "real" period since I have had so many others which is not great for someone who still thinks there's a 5% chance she could be pregnant.
My symptoms include/ed - nausea (no throwing up), serious headaches, slight breast tenderness, cramping off and on throughout the day (still), lots of gas bubbles (still), and feeling discomfort morning/evening...all symptoms of pregnancy (and menstruation). But, I'm choosing to believe the tests and moving forward as if. (If that changes I will re-post).
Anyway, I wanted to share my doctors feedback:
1) Plan B seriously messes with your system - it should be taken in emergency cases only. It's not suppose to be used for birth control and it can damage your system if you do.
2) You are MORE FERTILE after taking Plan B. You must use condoms if you choose to engage in sex after taking Plan B.
3) Plan B WILL NOT WORK if you ARE already pregnant.
4) If you are taking a progesterone birth control pill, you SHOULD NOT TAKE until 7 DAYS AFTER PLAN B. The progesterone pill can interfere with Plan B.
5) She highly recommends IUD's - even if you haven't had a child yet. She says they are very safe and effective. BUT, you shouldn't have multiple partners. She also recommended talking to your health care professional rather than googling since there is so much misinformation out there.
If you are pregnant...I had an unintended pregnancy with my son. Didn't believe in sex before marriage and got pregnant two weeks after having sex in my late 20's. I was horrified, devastated, and so scared (you'd think I'd be smarter this time!!!!). I had to change my whole "life plan" but, my son has been the greatest gift I have ever received. Yes, life as a single mom is so much more challenging and exhausting than before but I feel more joy and contentment in the day to day than I ever have before (not a reason to get pregnant). If you are pregnant, I hope you consider keeping your baby or adoption before abortion. If you're not ready, you will be giving the greatest gift to another family.
To everyone out there who is freaking out as much as I was/am, I wish you peace!! And, like I said, if the tests were wrong and my "real" period never comes I will re-post.
Plan B worked for me (I think) but I hope to NEVER TAKE AGAIN. It has truly messed with my system and I feel so ugh.