Garlic is a well-known and most easily available of household ingredients. It is mostly used in a crushed format or sometimes even roasted for its aroma and burnt garlic flavor. The beneficial property of garlic comes from its sulphur called Allicin which gives its health benefits. We will look at various tricks and uses of garlic on how to use it creatively to contribute to a healthier life.
Garlic is known mostly for the strong smell associated with it but is much more than that and is known as a “super food” by researchers all over the world. On the face of it, few benefits can be counted off on the tips of the fingers – it helps in burning calories, is considered highly nutritious for the body, it helps in combating common cold, combats high blood pressure and fights cholesterol. It also works on stretch marks improvement, reducing the risk of heart diseases and is also known in help in preventing Alzheimer’s disease. It has known to improve athletics performance by also contributing to bone health.
It has been used not just a seasoning and flavouring but also for common ailments. It is antibiotic and antifungal and rich in compounds like Allicin which helps in boosting immunity and helps in prevention of cancer. The sulphur compounds help in joint inflammation which is essential as we grow older. It also contains zinc which helps in fighting bad bacteria and viruses and calcium is also present in abundance which is great for bone strengthening along with making stronger teeth.
Garlic also contains selenium which although is in small traces, is known to fight cancer and works with Vitamin E to increase the antioxidant power of the body. Garlic also helps in improvement of blood circulation of the body as it works as a blood thinner and such properties have made garlic a well-prescribed ingredient by naturopaths all over the world.
Some other benefits of garlic are as follows-
1) Acne, pimples, spots – these are the bane for every woman and can easily be treated using garlic. One can chop off a small fresh piece of garlic, extract the juice and apply the garlic pulp directly to the skin. It is advisable to first check how your skin reacts to the pungency of the garlic. The redness and inflammation start reducing within a few hours of being treated with garlic.
2) Another treatment is crushing few garlic pods in white vinegar and applying it to the affected areas. This helps in reducing infection and also helps in balancing the pH levels of the skin. For those whose skin stings, they can mix yogurt and 2 teaspoons of honey in this mixture and then use it as a mask for 20 minutes. If you do not wish to use fresh garlic, one can opt for garlic powder which is also easily available.
3) Oily skin and blackhead removal – Oily skin can be treated with mixing 1 tablespoon of oatmeal with 2-3 crushed garlic pods. Add a few drops of lemon juice, tea tree oil, and honey teaspoons to this. Make a thick paste and apply to the face. Massage gently. Leave for a few minutes and wash off with warm water. Few weeks of this massage and blackheads will begin to vanish.
4) Anti -aging – The sulphur in the garlic helps in building collagen and getting rid of crow’s feet. Mixing with tomato to apply a mask, gives a visible difference to the skin.
5) Stretch marks – Few garlic pods, crushed and mixed with lukewarm oil, should be massaged on the affected area. You’ll see a visible reduction in stretch marks in a few weeks.
6) Hairfall – Adding a clove of garlic in shampoo or conditioner with few drops of honey can help hair fall reduction.
There are many such remedies of garlic which when done in an effective manner will help strengthen all parts of the body and give a feel good vibe to you.