March is the 40th anniversary of National Nutrition Month, here are some tips to help make good food choices:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less, and avoid over-sized portions.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Drink more water.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
Here are some shopping tips:
- Purchase nutrient rich foods (fresh fruits, veggies, lean sources of protein.)
- Keep convenient lower-fat foods on hand for quick meals.
- When purchasing convenience items, focus more on fresh and lightly processed foods. Examples include pre-cut fruits and vegetables; prewashed lettuce, plain frozen fruits and vegetables; dried fruit; and fruits canned in water or 100 percent juice.
For more on this topic, or to read the original article, follow the link:
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.