The following strategies may help prevent allergic rhinitis :
- Stay inside during the morning hours when pollen counts are highest.
- Avoid outside activities during the time of year when the trees, grasses, weeds, or molds are blooming.
- Keep the windows of your house and car closed to keep pollen out.
- Use an air conditioner to reduce indoor humidity and to prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Clean your air conditioner's filters regularly.
- Consider running an air purifier in your home, especially in your bedroom.
- Use vacuum cleaners and air conditioners with HEPA filters to trap allergens.
- Decrease or avoid outdoor activities on hot summer days, when ozone levels may make your symptoms worse.
- Cover pillows and mattresses with vinyl covers to reduce your exposure to dust mites.
- Wash bedding weekly in very hot water.
- Use fewer dust-collecting items, such as curtains, bed skirts, carpeting, and stuffed animals, especially in your bedroom.
- If you can't avoid having a furry pet, vacuum frequently and keep your pet out of bedrooms and other rooms with carpets.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2019 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.