Avoiding the causes of ITBFS is the best way to prevent it. This can include:
- Learn proper training techniques.
- Wear appropriate shoes for each sport.
- Replace athletic shoes as they show signs of wear.
- Be aware of running surfaces.
- Use properly-fitted equipment.
- Increase mileage run and weight lifted gradually. When lifting weights do small increments each day.
- Strengthen quadriceps and hamstrings.
- Stretch the ITB.
- See a foot specialist for evaluation and orthotics, if necessary.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2020 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.