Treatment depends on the cause.
Treatment may include:
- Rest—restriction from activities that cause pain.
- Heat or ice—application of heat, ice (generally ice is applied after activity; heat may be used before exercise to loosen muscles and soft tissues)
- Exercise—may include stretching to lengthen the ITB and strengthening of the quadriceps and hamstrings can correct muscle imbalances
- Correct technique—evaluating and correcting running, cycling, and weight-training techniques
- Orthotics—custom orthotic supports to correct foot problems
- Medications—anti-inflammatory medications and/or local cortisone injections
- Surgery—only for extreme cases where other treatment options have failed
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2020 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.