In some cases, you cannot prevent kidney failure. But there are some steps you can take that will lower your risk:
- Maintain normal blood pressure.
- If you have diabetes, control your blood sugar.
- Avoid long-term exposure to toxic substances, such as lead and solvents.
- Do not abuse alcohol or over-the-counter pain medication.
- Limit the amount of drugs toxic to the kidney.
- If you have chronic kidney failure, talk to your doctor before you become pregnant.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2023 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.