Treatment and recovery depend on the severity of the injury. Recovery time ranges from 6 weeks to 3 months.
- Rest—Do not pitch or do activities that cause elbow pain. Do not play sports until the pain is gone.
- Cold—Apply ice or a cold pack to the outside of the elbow. Do this for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply ice directly to your skin.
- Medication—Ask your doctor about pain medications because they can mask symptoms. If you or your child has elbow pain, be sure to call the doctor.
- Physical therapy—After the pain is gone, ask your doctor about strength exercises .
- Gradual return to pitching—Begin throwing motions. Gradually progress to pitching as recommended by your doctor. Your coach should also know about your treatment.
- Surgery—This may be needed to reattach the ligament and bony fragment. This is rarely needed.