Certain vaccines may prevent pneumonia:
- Flu shot —for people at high risk, particularly the elderly, because pneumonia may be a complication of the flu
- Pneumococcal vaccine —recommended for:
Other preventive measures include:
- Avoid smoking. Smoke weakens the lungs' resistance to infection.
- Avoid close contact with people who have the cold or flu.
- Wash hands often. This is very important when coming in contact with infected people.
- Protect yourself on jobs that affect the lungs.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get adequate rest.
- Exercise regularly.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2023 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.