Symptoms may include:
- Rotation and tilting of the head to the affected side
- Enlargement of neck muscles, possibly present at birth
- Stiffness of neck muscles
- Painful spasms of neck and upper back muscles
- Limited range of motion of the head and neck
Muscles of the Neck
Torticollis ranges from mild to severe. It usually progresses slowly for 1-5 years, and then plateaus. However, torticollis may persist for life and can result in limited movement and deformed posture.
The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam.
Tests may include:
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2020 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.