According to a new study published in the Fungal Biology journal more than 62 percent or six in 10 dishwashers tested are harboring various forms of fungi.
Yes, the cleaning machine in your kitchen which sanitizes and scrubs your dishes can possibly make you and your family sick!
The three-year study collected samples from more than 18 countries. More than 56 percent of the 189 dishwashers contained a black fungal yeast called Exophiala. Exophiala, which resembles black slime, lurks around the seals of dishwashers. Dishwashers are the perfect breeding grounds for this particular fungus. Exophiala seems to thrive in the moist and wet environment of a dishwasher.
Also, the study noted the use of alkaline tablets to clean dishes increased the amount of fungus found in the dishwashers. Dishes and utensils which were tested after being washed in an Exophiala environment also had contained the fungus.
Before you start washing your dishes by hand, researchers believe additional studies need to be conducted before it can be concluded that Exophiala is a health risk to a healthy individual.
For those with lung infections, this type of fungus can cause death. Researchers of the study said, "small children, the frail elderly, people with cuts or ulcers or people who are ill are vulnerable."
Here are some tips to clean your dishwasher and remove any unwanted germs:
• First gently scrape and remove any slime or mold from your dishwasher. Check the seals and around the door of the dishwasher.
• Before you use any of the below household items to clean your dishwasher, remove all racks and utensil holders.
• Also, remove all dishes, pots, pans and utensils.
• To remove mold build-up, run a full cycle of the dishwasher with one tablespoon of bleach.
• For an overall cleaning, try one of these vinegar cleanings.
1. Fill a coffee cup with vinegar and place in the dishwasher. Run the dishwasher in a regular full cycle mode.
2. Prior to running the dishwasher in low wash or energy-saving mode, place two cups of vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher. In mid-cycle, stop the dishwasher for 20 minutes.