2 missed birth control, took 3 at once, still having some brownish discharge after 2 weeks?

By December 16, 2014 - 3:08pm

2 weeks ago I missed 2 pills of my 3rd week in my pack. They were the Sun and Mon pills, and I remembered Tuesday night and took 3 at once because I panicked cause I'd never forgotten before. I also had unprotected sex Saturday, but had taken my pills regularly up until Sunday, so I'm not too worried about being pregnant, but is there any chance or reason I should be? I started my new pack that Sunday and skipped the placebo week.
And Wednesday afternoon I started getting some brownish spotting and some cramping. This continued through the next week and it turned to a red/brown mix with more cramping and it was when I was supposed to get my period. However, I still have some brownish discharge and it's almost been 2 weeks. Did I cause some hormonal imbalance by missing 2 pills then taking 3? Also, would stress play a part in this?

Hi Jenna

Thanks for your post. 

Taking two missed pills and your regular pill in one day is ok. But I can only assume the two days caused breakthrough bleeding even if you skipped your placebos and went straight onto active pills again. 

Take a pregnancy test to rule it out and keep taking your pills as usual. I think it'll sort itself out in a bit, even though this discharge is annoying and a bit concerning.