8-day break, birth control?

By December 3, 2015 - 8:48pm

I mainly ask this question out of curiosity. So I am on the combined pill at the moment, I have been taking it for 5 months now, with no late or missed pills. As I finished my fifth pack, I was going through my 7-day break as usual (with my period coming in the 5th day of the 7-day break) The thing is that I am on finals, and I forgot to take the first pill of the 6th pack on the scheduled day. Basically, I would be taking my first pill within an 8-day break. My question is if this affects the efficiency of the pill; I am coming back to my hometown in about a week and I will probably see my boyfriend in two weeks so I was wondering if I should consider using extra protection?

Thank you!

Hi DL91

You can do things - keep your usual start date with an 8 day break and use condoms for at least 7 days after that or-

don't take an 8 day break - go ahead and start your new pack after a 7 day break. You should be ok as long as you have been on the pill at least 7 days before you have sex. You'll have a new start date however.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I just read my question and it seems a bit confusing, so sorry about that! I basically finished my last pill last Tuesday, so my break started that Wednesday. I was indeed supposed to take it a week later, on Wednesday but I took it on Thursday. Again, thank you so much for your reply! I was just curious as to the efficiency since I have been talking for at least half a year now! Anyway, I won't be seeing my boyfriend until I start a new batch of pills.

Thank you!

HERWriter Guide (reply to DL91)

Oh I see. I thought you missed your last active pill.

You should be ok since you'll be on a new batch.