9 days late and negative test

By October 19, 2009 - 11:07am

Like many women I am resorting to the computer for answers to a question that I just can't talk to anyone else about!
My cycles are usually 35 days. I'm currently 9 days late and took a HPT this AM and it was negative. I tried Clear Blue and Easy digital.
The real kicker is that my children are 15yo and 7yo = 8 yrs apart and if it's true that I may be pregnant now the last 2 would be 8 yrs apart too! My hubby and I think we might have an 8 year ovulation cycle!

I came off the Mirena 2 years ago and have been birth control free, while we decided what our permanent solution was going to be. I know, bad decision unless you wanted to get pregnant!

What are the actual chances of being pg and not showing up on a HPT 9 days late?
I've already called the doc and they want me to wait 1 more week for a positive test.

No real symptoms to talk about except being tired, (who isn't with 2 kids and a full time job!), dry mouth (I heard I should be salivating!) and no breast changes at all (1st pg they were so sore I couldn't take a shower and 2nd didn't get sore till much later in the pg).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm glad you have an annual so you can get this sorted out - it really is a bit strange. It's good you're keeping aware of your history and potential conditions you may have. I hope it's not cysts but either way, I hope you find out where that period is hiding out!

Keep us posted!

So here's my update:
Took another HPT on Sunday and still negative. At this point I believe I am a full 2 weeks late - with no period - and apparently no pregnancy!! I have my annual scheduled for 11/6 where I can chat with the doc to see what is going on. I have had cysts in the past but I KNEW I had them cause they HURT! I haven't had anything like that recently but who says I'd feel it this time around :)
Well, at least I saved on mentrual products this month, right??

(And by the way, that's a great nickname!),

I love your attitude. Can't wait to hear.

Ah yes, we think it's funny too ~~~ I am going to wait until the end of the week and take another HPT and go from there. At this point, I'm still eating and living healthy so what's another few days to find out, right?

Regardless of what the outcome is, please let me thank you for the biggest laugh in my day so far -- that you and your husband may be on an 8-year ovulation cycle!! LOL!!

Thanks Susanc,
I am usually 5 weeks for each cycle and have even had a 39 day stint but this one is alittle longer than normal. I've had a regular period since coming off the mirena 2 yrs ago. I really appreciate your reponses and may do the blood test this week just to make sure. We're just wondering where the heck AF is!

See? You have the pregnancy jitters and you are quadruple posting! I'm just joking - I deleted the extra posts!

Well, at 36, it's not likely to be a menopausal issue (although you could be entering perimenopause) so you may just be extremely irregular. Personally,I think if you are having unprotected sex and are 44 days into your cycle, a blood test is a good idea. You don't even need a doctor's appointment for it, you can just call in advance and present yourself in the lab for the blood draw and you'll know in a day or two.

Please keep us updated, I'm interested to know what it going on.

That was me writing from my blackberry!

I'm 36 years young! No real stress in my life but it could be just late!

Sparkadoodle -

I think you are destined to space out your babies!

Like your doctor said, there isn't much you can do other than get a blood draw done at the lab or retest in the next few days. It's quite unusual to be pregnant and get negative pregnancy tests, however. EPT's are about 99% accurate when taken correctly and being 9 days late, you should definitely be getting an accurate response.

If your cycle is usually about 35 days, are you about 44 days now? May I ask how old you are? If you are nearing 40, or over 40 you may be perimenopausal or even menopausal and this is why you are not getting your period, or at least why it's so erratic.

But of course, the possibility of pregnancy is still there. But with negative tests so late in your cycle, the possibility may be low.

Please update us with a little more information when you can. And ask your doctor to schedule a blood draw if your period doesn't come this week; it's time you got a confirmation either way.

I hope to hear more from you!