Am I having a miscarriage?

By May 28, 2016 - 4:56am

Hi. I'm 17 years old and I've NEVER had sex a day in my life. I've been planning to, so 3 weeks ago I started birth control. on the last day of my first 7 pills, my period started 3 days late. It was heavy then light then heavy, I called my doctor and she said it was perfectly fine and expected. Anyway, my period has been practically NOTHING for three days now, just tiny light brown spots. Yesterday, there was nothing. Today, I woke up and saw on my panty liner a small gushy grey/brown clot and I was instantly shocked. I've had cramps here and there and they did hurt, but only for like a second.. I did have oral sex a few weeks ago so maybe sperm got to me somehow? I'm just confused and sad

Hi Kathieamber123!

Oral sex is not going to cause pregnancy. Sperm doesn't randomly end up in a vagina.

You can't be having a miscarriage if you haven't had sex. You can't lose a baby through miscarriage if you've never had sex because you couldn't be pregnant.

Your doctor is right - there's nothing to worry about. Give the pill a few months to settle in. Irregular bleeding can happen, especially in the first few months. Taking the pill at the same time every day without forgetting is the key to regularity.

Anon, you don't sound ready for sex at all. I encourage you to read up about sex education and wait a while also, until you are emotionally ready.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/sex-101

I am ready, I was just really scared because I know that if sperm gets onto your hands and you touch yourself you could possibly get pregnant so I thought that may have happened to me. :/ I'm also a really paranoid person, and there's so many mixed reviews on what makes you pregnant and what doesn't. I also have another question, though. I've been on birth control for 3 weeks so I know I'm protected, me and my boyfriend were rubbing genitals last night for a few minutes and he had his hand on his penis and he swears no precum came out.. If it did, what's the risk? Thanks Susan

HERWriter Guide (reply to Kathyamber123)

Hi again!

You said you know you are protected but are nervous about making out with some genital rubbing so no - you wouldn't get pregnant.

Sperm is not somehow going to get on your hands and get up your vagina. I don't think you are paranoid as such, but I don't think you've had enough sex ed to understand how sex works and how pregnancy occurs - also how birth control works.

You have to have ejaculation inside the vagina to get pregnant. Rarely, pregnancy could occur if sperm is deposited directly on the vaginal opening. Nothing else is going to get you pregnant.

Take your pill at the same time every day as prescribed and you will not get pregnant.

It's fine if you are physically/emotionally ready for sex - that is your choice. But you are not educated from a biological/scientific point of view which still makes you not ready.

Ultimately you are going to have to trust your pill by knowing the facts. If you are paranoid about pregnancy while being fully protected you're going to have panic attacks a lot which again means you're not ready.

I encourage you to read more here: http://www.empowher.com/reproductive-system/content/how-sex-works