Ankle Swelling After 2 Years - Should I Use Ice or Heat, Both?

By Anonymous December 3, 2008 - 1:12pm

More than two years ago I injured my ankle and a few months ago I got back to the gym. The problem: My ankle is still very weak and not completely healed.

Yesterday I went to the gym, wore the stabilizing brace I bought and casually rode a bike for 20 minutes while reading Time magazine. Then went to the treadmill and did 3 minutes on, 3 minutes off walk-jog alternate for 21 minutes. (This totaled 9 minutes jogging)

By the time I finished not only was my ankle somewhat sore, this was expected, but it was somewhat swollen. This swelling lasted hours and finally dissipated completely by morning.

My question is, when originally sustaining an ankle injury you alternate hot and cold for swelling and pain. Should I start this cycle again, two years later?

Hope to Heal Sometime Soon!

The rule of thumb for treating injuries:

ICE swelling - constricts the blood vessels and relieves swelling

HEAT aches

Hope you heal soon.

Yesterday was not my first time back at the gym, I've been slowly working up to where I am at since May and coach a young, girl's soccer team.
Yesterday was however the first time I noticed new swelling. Usually it's just a bit sore.

I've had some previous ankle sprains and believe I was misdiagnosed with a three month sprain by three really good doctors this last time because I know from experience if it was just a sprain I would be fine now.

Eventually I do plan to speak with an orthopedic about my ankle, but was just looking for some in-the-meantime advice since I don't currently have health insurance.

Thanks for your comment!

Hi Shannon!

Boy - two years is a long time to be suffering with this!

This question may ultimately need to be consulted with your health care provider because you don't want to further compound any injury!

But from what I have read about these kinds of problems, cold treatments should be used for recent, short term injuries (as in the last few days) and hot treatments need to be used for long term injuries. So you would fall into the latter. And heat treatments would need to be used before activity, in order to unwind and loosen muscles, rather than after working out.

Was yesterday your first time back in the gym for a while? Have you talked to your doctor about why you are not fully healed after two years?

Sprains Guide