Are large blood clots normal during your menstrual cycle?

I'm 30 years old and all of my life my cycle has been irregular. And by irregular I mean I normally skip a month or two without a cycle. I've never been on birth control. So recently I got my cycle and it has been on for 3 weeks and I have large clots. I've had them before but not as often or as large. I want to know is this normal and what could be the cause of me having my cycle for 3 weeks. This has never happened before and I'm concerned. I feel fine, no cramps or anything.

Hello and thank you for sharing your question.

Any time you have consistent vaginal bleeding that lasts longer then 7 days, you should see your doctor.  It could be something as simply as hormonal imbalances, or it could be a sign of something dangerous.

Blood clots are normal, except when associated with prolonged bleeding.  Be sure to mention that during the doctor visit.