Q: 

Are these the signs of perimenopause?

perimenopause

Hi, I'm 43 years old and I've always had a very regular 28-31 day cycle. I'm 6 days late and I took two urine pregnancy tests and both negative. I did have unprotective sex once on cd23, which is usually a safe time for me. I dont have any abnormal symptoms at all other than feeling the normal premestral symptoms of being bloated, light cramps and the occasional headache. Is this normal for perimenopause? Do you just go from normal to a missed period? Should I book an appointment with my GP?

P.S. I have been taking synthroid for hypothyroidism for about two years and my dose was changed slightly 2 months ago.

Anonymous

I agree with Susan.
One thing though; usually perimenopause more likely starts with earlier periods then with period-delay, and a normal FSH that early, does not exclude a v early perimenopause.
Maria Jasmine Freeman

Hello Anon

Thank you for writing.

Although the dates you mentioned would appear to be "safe", sex in your 40s really needs to be protected at all times (if pregnancy is to be avoided) because this is the time ovulation dates change and thus period dates also change. Peri-menopause is certainly a possible cause for your missed period but other factors like medication could be at play, or stress or lifestyle factors.

With peri-menopause - yes, you literally go from being regular to either a late or early period in one month. Changes are gradual but they have to start at some stage so being this early /late is going to happen eventually with all women.

A change in your thyroid medication could also be the cause as this medication can cause menstrual changes.

Since your tests are negative, pregnancy isn't likely but if you still have concerns, a blood pregnancy test at the doctor's office can let you know for sure.

Thank you Susan for your reply! I'm thinking perhaps getting a blood test for TSH levels, pregnancy and perhaps levels of other hormones might be the one thing that will help relieve my worries. As well me just chalking it up to the wonderful start of perimenapause!!

HERWriter Guide (reply to Ohnohereshecomes)

I also think all those tests are a good idea and one blood draw will hopefully suffice!

I'm 47 and at 46, peri-menopause has creeped in. No symptoms other than am irregular cycle which is really annoying when coming from a 28 day cycle. Grrrr!