Is because I stressed out that my period is late?

It has been 40 days since my last period. In the beginning of the month I started working out each day.
and i stopped taking my naps during the day. I have also woken up during some nights because there was car crashes, and then there was helicopters. So it made me worry and have anxiety that something horrible might happen. Also the week i was suppose to get my period i also stressed out about that alot.

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank your for reaching out to us with your concern about a late period and its possible link to stress.

Indeed, excessive stress can cause a late or even missed period. During periods of high stress, there is an increased production and secretion of the hormone called cortisol. In response to these higher than normal levels, the body will shut down nonessential functions. The menstrual cycle is one of these functions.

Anonymous, have you considered seeking the help of a therapist, counselor or psychologist who can guide you with positive ways to cope with anxiety?