Being asthmatic, certain colognes choke me, immediately. My asthmatic friend said it's the larinyx going into spasm. (I hit 'enter' by mistake) Is this information acurate?

By May 24, 2010 - 10:30am

My friend, Ruth, experienced this 'spasm' and paramedics kept the oxygen flowing. The O2 did not help her breath and she was near death that time. She later learned that she needs adrenaline.
I am newly diagnosed with asthma at the age of 53 and want to understand and learn from others. I do not want to self-diagnose or self-treat, but learn to manage.

Wow! Thank you for your quick and helpful response. I sent a link to your website to my friend with asthma, and now I can't wait to tell the rest of my girlfriends! I will click on the asthma section and respond back.

Hi Susan

Thanks for your post and welcome!

There is more than just suspicion that odor causes problems with asthmatics. Several studies have shown it to be the case and cologne and perfumes are common culprits. Here is the synopsis of one study here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3079951

A spasm in the larynx is what happened to your friend - it's indeed very frightening as a person can breath out but not breath in, since the vocal cords/larynx close themselves to breathing in. This can happen with an asthmatic but others can also suffer from this condition - people with acid reflux disease are one group. It can also happen for reasons unknown.

I am so glad you are educating yourself about your condition! We have a very extensive section on asthma here on Empowher, where you can not only read about the condition in-depth but you can also read about the latest studies, articles and also questions and comments from others with the same condition.

You can find it here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/asthma

Will you take a look at this section and let me know what you think? Also, if you have any questions with regard to your own diagnosis, come back to this thread and ask. Also, feel free to comment on posts from other readers!

Asthma Guide