Q: 

Can taking birth control pills late impact effectiveness?

By March 30, 2011 - 7:43pm

Can taking one birth control pill a few hours late change the effectiveness?

Anonymous

Last month when i was on my period i had fogotten to take my pill once or twice and i had to double take it like recommended. I continued spotting a little for a few days after my period was supposed to be gone, I figured cause i was kinda late with a pill two that,that was probably why. This month i have forgotten quite a few times to take my pill, i double took it like usual, but it really was way more than it should of been. I forgot and had to double take it the next day probably once a week if not more, as much as i hate to admit, but i only have one pill left for tomorrow, i took my one for today. But I havent bled at all. Not even spot a little. I usually don't bleed a lot anyways, at least not until the last 2 or 3 days i have left. But since I only have tomorrows pill left, and i havent bled or spotted at all, im kinda concerned... How long should i wait until i take a pregnancy test?? and should i continue to take them until i know?

Since you're a bit casual about taking the pill, I'd take a test in about a week - if you don't get your period first. In the meantime, keep taking your pills as usual.

Anonymous

Okay so I started taking birth control pills for the very first time June 19th which was a Sunday. 3 days into taking the pill and I forgot them at home while travelling to Vegas for 4 days so I stopped taking the pill. I had just finished my period today and was advised by a nurse at a women's clinic that I could start up where I left off with my packet because I am in another country right now and I won't be able to get a new pack from my pharmacy until the end of this month when I return home. I'm unsure whether I should continue taking my used pack or if I should wait to start a brand New one

Since you got advice from a nurse at a women's center, follow her advice. However, generally speaking, a woman should throw out her old pack and start a new one.

Are you sexually active? You might want to just use condoms until you get home but if you do continue this pack per the nurse, make sure you use condoms for at least 7 days.

Anonymous

Last month I went out of town and forgot my birth control pack(I missed 3 days). I had one week left until the placebo pills and so when I got home I began taking them again and then had my period. I had just finished my first week back on the pill (since my period) and I had intercourse. I am worried that I did not wait long enough. Should I get a back up?

Missing three days means you should have thrown out your pack, started a new one and used a back up for at least 7 days. But since it was seven days since you started your new pack, you should be ok.

Anonymous

So I have a question... On Monday I forgot to take my pill and I realized it Tuesday morning so that morning I doubled up and just a few hours after I doubled up I had unprotected sex and he did came inside me. How likely is it that I'm preganant? I've been on birth control for 2 and a half weeks now.

ok thank you im just so nervous that when i get off my active pills im gonna be waiting for the withdrawl blood and im not going to have anything. My last active pill is on saturday so im hoping to have my period by monday or tuesday hopefully. Im just confused as to how so many women say they get pregnant from missing one pill or taking it late?

(reply to sunshine228)

The pill, when used consistently and correctly, is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy with "perfect use". That means, there is 1% chance of pregnancy, and it's really more about probability and statistics: 1 out of 100 women each year will become pregnant (how you get the 99% effectiveness rate).

When women miss pills, it is considered "typical use", and those stats are more like 8 in 100 women will become pregnant each year. The more pills missed, when pills are missed consecutively, then the chances of unintended pregnancy increase.

Missing one pill (combination), and taking it as soon as you remember, keeps you in the 99% effectiveness range.

Hope this helps!

Im actually on a cimbined birth control, ive bee on it for two years and ive taken all of them correctly except for this one. It was the last pill of my second week in the pack and I took it like 8 or 9 hours late ( I fell asleep) and when I work up I took it right away. I guess my real question is could i have released an egg in those few hours? They say that with yasmin you have a 12 hour window that you may take the pill and still be safe and it not be considered a 'missed' dose but idk how true that is. And also Im a little worried because last month I got my period three days early because at the beginning of the prior month i took plan b so idk wether to expect my period early again or at my normal time so idk when to take a pregnancy test to make sure.