brown spotting instead of period

By Anonymous March 31, 2010 - 5:12am

hi~ I've been having irregular periods for years and it has improved during last two years but then at the end of last year, i didn't have period for almost 4 months. I went to a chinese doctor and went through herbs, acupuncture and massage and I got my period, it was the best period i've had in years, good color and quantity. But then I stopped the treatment. The next two cycles were bizarre. Instead of having period, I had brown spotting for 2-3 years and no period at all. it's brown, not heavy, some blood clots, just need panties.

what can be the reason?
oh... I'm not pregnant and I'm not living with my husband right now.

hi~ thank you Susan a lot for your thoughtful reply. I went to a acupuncturist when I went back to China for vacation, now i'm back and I need to find another acupuncturist. I'll do some test as well to see what's going on. Thanks again!

Hi Anonymous

Brown blood is old blood so it doesn't appear that you are having fresh blood from a recently ovulated egg, during this time of the month. However, all this may mean is that the blood is a day old and this is normal. Some women have brown tinted blood every time they have their period.

I am more concerned about the irregularities in your period. I think getting your hormone levels tested, as well as being checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome or endometriosis. You can click on those names to read all about them.

Are you in a position to go for a full check up of your reproductive system?

And can you tell us why you are no longer seeing your acupuncturist?