Q: 

Can BV and Trich be misdiagnosed for each other?

My gf has been diagnosed with Trich though I've been monogamous and she claims to have been also. We've been together for 10 months. We had unprotected sex our very first time and once about 2 nights before her exam (PAP). Prior to Her and I, I haven't had sex in a year and a half. I was told by MY doctor that the infection would have most likely killed itself it that period of time even if untreated. She heavily believes that I cheated on her and I haven't (HONESTLY), and others believe that she didn't. Where did this Trich come from? How did we get this if both of us have been monogamous? Could she have been misdiagnosed. Please help, our relationship is being ruined behind this!

I am 55 years old and met my husband 7 years ago. We each had blood tests before having sex to rule out any issues. I never knew that a blood test wasn't enough! Around the time I also started menopause. I have had vaginal issues ever since I met him, i.e. BV, yeast infections. It was even suggested by one of my healthcare providers that I might be allergic to his sperm! The gynocologist I had been seeing for years never thought to test me for any STDs because I had been celibate for years before I met my husband. I recently moved and chose a new gyno. I give her a rundown of my problems for the past several years and she decides to check for STDs....and whaddayaknow, I have trich. And I've had it for 7 years!! I KNOW my husband does NOT cheat and I certainly do not. He had sex with a drug user before he met me and although I've had metronidazole before, he had not so he kept reinfecting me. If it wasn't for this website, I don't know what I would have done in terms of my marriage. We are both on metro and I'm so glad we can move forward from this!!

Guide

Welcome to EmpowHER. I am glad you reached out to our community. I am truly sorry to hear how this situation is affecting both you and your girlfriend.

I cannot say how either of you contracted trichomoniasis. I can provide some general information.

Citing the CDC, " Trichomoniasis (or “trich”) is a very common sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is caused by infection with a protozoan parasite called Trichomonas vaginalis. Although symptoms of the disease vary, most people who have the parasite cannot tell they are infected.

Trichomoniasis is the most common curable STD. In the United States, an estimated 3.7 million people have the infection. However, only about 30% develop any symptoms of trichomoniasis. Infection is more common in women than in men. Older women are more likely than younger women to have been infected with trichomoniasis.

The parasite passes from an infected person to an uninfected person during sex. In women, the most commonly infected part of the body is the lower genital tract (vulva, vagina, cervix, or urethra). In men, the most commonly infected body part is the inside of the penis (urethra). During sex, the parasite usually spreads from a penis to a vagina, or from a vagina to a penis. It can also spread from a vagina to another vagina. It is not common for the parasite to infect other body parts, like the hands, mouth, or anus. It is unclear why some people with the infection get symptoms while others do not. It probably depends on factors like a person’s age and overall health. Infected people without symptoms can still pass the infection on to others."

Anonymous, you also ask if Trichomoniasis can be misdiagnosed for Bacterial Vaginosis.

No. Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a condition that happens when there is too much of certain bacteria in the vagina. This changes the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina.

Again, referencing the CDC, "Researchers do not know the cause of BV or how some women get it. We do know that the infection typically occurs in sexually active women. BV is linked to an imbalance of “good” and “harmful” bacteria that are normally found in a woman’s vagina. Having a new sex partner or multiple sex partners, as well as douching, can upset the balance of bacteria in the vagina. This places a woman at increased risk for getting BV.

We also do not know how sex contributes to BV. There is no research to show that treating a sex partner affects whether or not a woman gets BV. Having BV can increase your chances of getting other STDs.

BV rarely affects women who have never had sex.

You cannot get BV from toilet seats, bedding, or swimming pools."

Regards,

Trichomoniasis

Trichomoniasis Guide