Can I be pregnant?

By June 5, 2013 - 8:23am

Me and my boyfriend decided to have sex without a condom but he didn't not ejaculate inside of me. We did it a week or so after I had my period the 20th of may so i know for sure it can't be my period I took the next choice pill after 12 hours after we had done it and now 6 days later I'm spotting brown discharge and some blood. Does this mean I can be pregnant? I'm so scared can you please help me!

Hi Jennifer!

Next choice can often cause bleeding within a few days to a week of talking it so this may be what's happening. If you don't get your period when expected, don't panic, because the next period about Next Choice can be delayed but take a test if it's more than a couple of weeks late.

It's very risky to have sex without a condom a week after your period, even if there seems to be no ejaculation - this is the time of  the month that you are most fertile and a man can produce a small amount of ejaculate and not know it.

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I have one more question my private area has been really hurting like pain not burning or anything what does that mean is it because of the pill too?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Jennifer garcia)

Hi again

No, the ipill would not cause any genital pain. This may be due to rough sex or lack of lubricant.

If you see discharge, smell bad or itch/burn see a doctor in case of infection.

Will the rough sex be the cause of the blood too? It's kind of going away now but I'm still very scared because I have been researching this and some people say that is can be implantation bleeding can this be true even tho I took the pill after we have done it but 12 hours later?
Please write back I swear this is my last question!
I'm so worried!

Hi Jennifer,

The bleeding is a side effect of taking emergency contraception. This kind of contraception is about 92% effective so your risk is low, but you did have sex at a risky time in your cycle.

We can't tell you if you are pregnant or not, you have to take a test for that. Don't read up too much on the internet or you'll end up thinking you're pregnant with triplets - there is a lot of misinformation out there are fake stories about someone who knows someone who had a five-headed baby! We're are giving you the facts!

Therefore, yes, implantation bleeding can happen (this is a very small amount of bleeding, not enough to fill a tampon) about a week after sex, but since you took the Pill, it's far more likely that this bleeding is not implantation bleeding - rather it's a side effect.

A pregnancy test two weeks after you had unprotected sex will be accurate. Take one to ease your mind.

Hey I'm so sorry but two weeks have pasted and I have token 2 pregnancy tests and they both came out negative. But I have been feeling fatigue and one night I was trying to sleep and I couldn't sleep because I couldn't breath I felt like I couldn't breath I have also been getting a little pain in my stomach could this mean in pregnant even tho it keeps coming up negative?
Please right back because I don't know what to do anymore!

Hi Jennifer

You probably should see a health care professional at this stage as we can't tell you over the Internet what may be happening. Please keep us posted and good luck!