Can I have sex this weekend?

By April 25, 2016 - 1:10pm

Hi there!

I am recently new to being sexually active, so bear with me. I was active a good two years ago and then single forever and then I thought I was asexual for a while and now my boyfriend of 6 months and I are starting to get more intimate.

However, as I am fairly new to the game, I am not very good at tracking my cycle and everything yet. We had sex once at the start of the month, so this will be the second time. We do use condoms, but I am not on birth control (My grandma said she read an article that it isn't safe and forbade me to get on it if I can help it), and I inherited an insane amount of paranoia from my mom so I want to plan every little detail possible to ensure as minimal pregnancy risk as possible. He's 21, I'm 20, we're both in college and neither of us work. Pregnancy would be AWFUL.

Anyways, I have been using a period tracker app for about a year now, but my cycle shifts between a 28-32-35 day cycle so it's not the most regular. While I know that there really only are 6 or so days that you can get pregnant, because of the irregularity I'm not so sure when that is. For example, my period this month came 4 days early, meaning I apparently was ovulating on the 9th not the 13th like the app had originally said (it changed to the 9th when I hit "period started"). While believe me I was happy to see my period, I now am not sure at all when next month's will be, if the app is right or not.

Here is some info from the app about my cycle, if anyone would give me a little bit of peace of mind - if this weekend is a good time for sex. Neither of us have learned to drive yet at 21 and 20, so we have to plan a whole sleepover and get rides from our parents :P

Start days over the last year: March 29 2015, May 1 2015, June 2 2015, July 1 2015, Aug 3 2015, Sep 3 2015, Oct 14 2015, Nov 18 2015, Dec 20 2015, Jan 18 2016, Feb 20 2016, March 26 2016, April 23 2016 (I currently have it right now).
For May it says I'll be fertile/ovulating from the 6th to the 12th, but like I said since this month came 4 days earlier than the app said it would the ovulation dates changed.

Hi casnarl

With all due respect to your grandmother, you are a grown woman and nobody can "forbid" you to go on the Pill. The Pill is generally extremely safe so it sounds like she's a bit uninformed about how it works.

As long as you are using condoms, you will be up to 98% protected and since you are irregular, condoms are a must. Nobody can tell you whether a certain weekend is a good time to have sex. Just use your tracker and use condoms.

I'm not sure why you added in the whole not driving and getting rides from parents and planning "sleepovers" - this is a bit strange for two adults. You need to get a license, part-time work etc to assert your independence.

Read more on condoms here: http://www.empowher.com/sexual-well-being/content/different-types-condoms