Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Guillain-Barre Syndrome Guide

ask: Can Other Family Members Also Suffer Guillain-Barre Syndrome?

By 1981GBSSurvivor

I had Guillain-Barre' Syndrome back in 1981, with total paralysis and on the vent for40 days. I now suffer from Post-GBS; however my doctor wants to call it "Fibromyalgia" or CIDP. I am currently one of the Administrators of the "Guillain-Barre' Syndrome Survivors" group on FaceBook. We have had several people ask if other family members can also get GBS. I know that autoimmune illnesses run in my family, including LUPUS, RA, Dysautonomia/POTS Syndrome; but can others in the same family also get GBS? I have tried to research this, but have been unable to find any statistics on this question.

Anonymous

There are no know hereditary factors for GBS. The instances of family members getting GBS are so rare as to statistically insignificant. If your doctor can't distinguish between Fibromyalgia and CIDP, you need a second Opinion!

You are right---there is not much information on the hereditary factors related to GBS. As you know, the name itself ("syndrome" instead of "disease") indicates that there are unknown causes, and GBP is not always caused by a disease-causing agent.

The Boston Medical Center is currently studying your exact question: what are the hereditary factors in GBS (related to vaccines). You can read more about this research study at: http://www.vaccinesafety.org/CISA/GBS.html.

Good luck in your search for information! It seems as this is a condition that continues being studied, as there are more questions than answers.