ask: can an ovarian cyst be removed without removing the ovary?

I'm 31 yrs old, trying to get pregnant I stopped birth control about 2 years ago and haven't had any luck. For over the past six months I've been experiencing more the normal period pains before, during and after my period, it gets really bad, I had to finally go to the ER I had a ruptured cyst on my right and still have a much larger cyst on my left. I've been having ultra sounds done about every six wks, hoping it goes away but this last month my ob suggest I have a MRI because of increase change in size. Today I found out I have endometrioma. I have a cyst inside my my left ovary. The ob says she can go in and have it surgically removed but might have to remove my whole left ovary, it scares me because I'am trying to have a baby and I don't want to minimize my chances since I haven't been able to or is it possible that the cyst is the problem with me trying to conceive I just don't know what to do! please share your thoughts

Hi Pinka

Thanks for your post and sorry about your ruptured cyst - I hear that can be very painful. 

Some doctors do end up removing the ovary but as you are trying for a family, you can instruct her that if the cyst cannot come off on it's own, she cannot remove the ovary. However, this still leaves you with that large cyst. 

Women get pregnant all the time with one ovary - it just takes longer because each side takes turns every month. 

You can read all about ovarian cysts here - click on the left side for details and the middle part of the screen are filled with articles and questions on ovarian cysts. I agree this decision is not one to make lightly. You can also look for a second opinion from another doctor.

http://www.empowher.com/condition/ovarian-cysts

Let us know what you think, Pinka.

Pinka (reply to Susan Cody)

Thanks for your reply, I agree I think I will get a second opinion hopefully it helps with making my decision.

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :