Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide

ask: can an ovarian cyst be removed without removing the ovary?

By hsaperocho

i'm 35 years old. when i was 17, my left ovary was removed because of a large cyst found in it. i got married at 25 and had 3 children. now, i had my routine check-up and it was found out that my right ovary had a cyst in it, measuring around 6.8 cm by 8 cm. my obgyne advised for a hysterectomy. is there any other option than removing everything including my uterus? can the cyst be removed without removing my ovary? i'm still very young...

Anonymous

I recently found out I have a pretty big cyst on my right ovary (4.9) My doctors tell me I will just have to wait till it ruptures and deal with the pain its causing in the mean time. What I want to know is if I can have it removed now instead of waiting on it to rupture or get any bigger? My doctor also recommends I have my iud (mirena) removed and start on an oral birth control to help not get any more cyst in the future. The thing is I don't want to remove my iud is there any other way or medication to take to stop getting these cyst in the future? Im 26 and me and my husband have 5 kids between us two and don't plan to have any more so removing an ovary or everything wouldn't be an issue. I just cant deal with the pain all the time .

jess

Anonymous

hi,
i have cysts in my right ovary.(scan report impression says that "right ovary is enlarged with two complex cystic lesions.left polycystic ovary.multiple nabothian cysts in the cervix-chronic cervicits" and the size of the ovary mentioned is (right ovary :6.8*4.1*6.5 and the left ovary :3.9*2.7*3.9).
now my doctor said will remove the two cysts by doing laparoscopic. is this a good method to remove cysts comparing with intake medicins? please help me ..

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

In cases of certain types of ovarian cysts, birth control pills may be prescribed. This treatment will not make the cysts you already have go away. But, it will prevent new cysts from forming.

Unfortunately, from the scan report, you have an enlarged right ovary with two complex cysts, many cysts in the left ovary, as indicated by the term polycystic, and mucus-filled cysts in the cervix , as indicated by the term nabothian. Generally, nabothian cysts do not cause any problems and no treatment is necessary.

Sometimes. a cyst can be removed without having to remove the ovary. This surgery is called cystectomy. The surgeon can do this through a small incision using laparoscopy. In other cases, the ovaries may have to be removed.

I think your doctor is correct in recommending laparoscopic removal of the cysts.

Wishing you the best,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

hi Maryann,
how r u and ur family? couple of days back i had gone thru laparoscopic.now im feeling better.today i got my periods :) .2 cysts are removed from my right ovary,left ovary polycystic are punchered and my dr. confirmed that my uterus and fallopian tubes are healthy...when i just searched in website about cysts and laproscopic i found ur web site and i gone thru the questions and answers(comments).atlast i asked suggestion to u and i got the solution.i am really happy now.once again i thank u very much.
i need one more help from u..can u please suggest me some good diet to reduce my weight?

thanks,
pri

hello Maryann,
thank u soo much.i was very much confused because of this problem.now i'm very much clear. i'm going to fix an appointment for laparoscopic today.(i am 27 yrs old and i got married 18 months back.i don't have kids. i did not get my periods for last 4 months.in the 3rd month i went to a dr. she also prescribed the birth control pills.i did not take that pills because i did not get periods.after that i went to some other doctor and she told me that will remove the cyst and will give u the pills for regularize the periods for 3 months and then try it for pregnancy).
:) have a nice week end :)

Anonymous

this question was written 4 years ago. I am leaving this answer for anyone new who looks this up. I recently had a 6.5cm cyst that was "inside" my ovary, removed with laproscopic surgery. The ovary was not removed. My period returned in one month and the recovery time that i personally needed before returning to work was 2 weeks. Felt really good after about 1 month.

Thank you so much for your followup comment. I am hoping for the same outcome - you've given me much hope. All the best.

norawcoffey

You can have the cyst removed without removing the ovary. The surgery is called a cystectomy. If you have difficulty finding a gynecologist who is skilled at performing cystectomy you can contact the HERS Foundation for referral to a doctor.

Anonymous

I got my leftovery removed due to chocolet cyst before 3 yers but recent usg report is telling the chocolet cyst is still there so will i be able to get pregnent.My age is 27.

Anonymous

Why chocolet cyst is found again though i got it removed 3 years back?