Addictions

Addictions Guide

ask: Can a person who has smoked marijuana most of their life, become addicted?

Anonymous

Because sometimes you need to rock the boat.

TiffT510

Luv it. Thanks Susan. I am a spanking brand new member and so far this site is awesome. And I have to agree with you. I'm not sure about the lung cancer part (could do some reserach but don't need to!), but I used to smoke pot daily for a very long time. Yes everyone is different but addiction is addiction. And our brains are powerful. If your more prone to doing things addictively, such as I, than weed is anything but harmless. After 3 years I have been considering whether or not I should or could start smoking again. But all of those things you said above are true. Things in my life have been going too well. Why risk rocking the boat?

Thanks for your question.

Some people don't believe that pot is addictive, many others do. It also depends on how it's smoked. If it's rolled in tobacco then yes, in a way, because tobacco is highly addictive in itself.

Long term users have a hard time stopping the drug so this would indicate it's addictive.

It also causes a lot of the same damage as tobacco - damaged throat, lungs etc. And long term, heavy pot smokers sometimes use pot rather than working, taking care of their families or other activities.

Any kind of stimulant, done over the long term, can be addictive.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

~Susan

Susan, wow, i wonder what your credentials are. Do you really know ANYTHING about marijuana? Who rolls it with tobacco? And what do you have to back up your claims that it causes damaged throat, lungs, etc? And what data supports your claim that long term heave pot smokers sometimes use pot rather than working? If they arent working, how do they buy their pot? I think you are wholly uninformed. I know many long term pot smokers who are VERY productive members of society. I myself mainatained a 3.4 GPA in college while smoking pot daily. As for the addiction claims? I dont think so. I have sucessfully quit for over 6 years when I had a job that did regular testing. Now that I am retired, I do smoke it occassionally, maybe once a month if my sons bring it over. The only dependence is psychological... you feel better and more relaxed when you have smoked or injested it, so you want it again. Same thing as St Johns Wort. It enhances my moods so I want it everyday. But that doesnt make me addicted. any more that I am addicted to sitting in my hot tub every night.

A lot of young people today smoke weed with tobacco in the form of what is called a blunt. They take a cigar, split it open and remove the tobacco and fill it with weed and roll it back up. The tobacco which is contained in the cigar tobacco leaves causes a mix of weed and tobacco which can be very addictive.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post.

I can answer some of your questions for you:

I know a bit about pot, since I smoked a little myself, a very long time ago!

Of course some pot can be used with tobacco!  Not all "pot" (using the generic term), is the same. Most people I have known who smoke, have a variety of pot, not just actual marijuana. Some pot can and is rolled in tobacco, especially in Europe.It often burns much better that way. One pot smokers way is not everyone's. Fresh, semi-solid black hashish (often grown in Asia) is usually smoked with tobacco in Africa and Europe. When talking generally about this topic, marijuana, hash, cannabis etc are often spoken about in unison. I was making general statements which we often do, even when discussing a distinct topic. It's how people generally discuss things unless a specific scientific or medical subject is at hand.

Many non-working people can afford their pot because they grow it themselves and sell what they don't use for profit. A pretty nice profit according to hundreds of thousands of users and growers in Northern California, Kentucky, Washington, Hawaii and several other states!

I know long term heavy pot smokers sometimes have a hard time getting and keeping jobs because I knew plenty of them, back in the day. They smoked too much to be coherent for interviews or work and reeked of weed.

Dependance is dependence, whether physical or psychological or both. To say something isn't harmful because the dependance is merely psychological is like saying cancer only hurts and effect the physical body of the patient herself. 

Physical tobacco addiction can be stopped within a week. Psychological withdrawal can go on for weeks and months. Sometimes years although the addiction dims significantly.

You can research lung damage yourself as the studies are everywhere. The UK Cannabis Internet Activist concedes this information is true as do every single smoker I know. Hearing the hacking coughs is also rather telling.But as I am sure you know, for every study that claims one thing - another pops up to show the opposite. I never said pot can kill or maim, but it certainly isn't harmless. Smoking ANYTHING is not good for the lungs. The lungs are most definitely NOT designed to inhale smoke.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20030918/marijuana-smoking-d...

Pro-pot organizations say the same thing: http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2007/nov/29/marijuana_better_your_lu...

While pot certainly doesn't do the damage that tobacco can do, there are few pro-pot smoking orgs that say it's harmless - it isn't. And again, I am (and was) talking about chronic (to use that phrase!) and long term pot use, not someone who smokes a roll now and again. If you differ in opinion or have questions about what I wrote, just pose the questions rather than jumping to conclusions and demanding credentials.

I am a long time health researcher with a background in health care. Those are my credentials. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean my findings have no merit.

~Susan

Do you smoke? :