can plan b interfere with my cycle after its worked? Is my ovulation/menstral cycle off?

By Anonymous December 3, 2014 - 3:05pm

My Mirena fell out on 10/26/14, I freaked out & called my doctor for a plan b pill I took it the same day.. I got a heavy period on 10/30/14 that lasted until 11/7/14.. I had unprotected sex that night and again on 11/13/14.. I usually get my period on the 10th before all this happened.. now I feel pregnant but 5 negative pregnancy test.. Is my cycle off due to the plan be or should I be counting my regular 29 day cycle from the period I got after the plan b or from my regular expected date of the 10th? Confusing I know, can someone please help me???

Thanks for your question. 

We get questions like this every day, as I am sure you can see! 

We cannot tell anyone when to expect their next period (as in, counting from the last "real" one or the one induced by taking emergency contraception) because all bodies are different and react to the hormones differently. 

Generally speaking, some women are told to count from the second bleeding but from my experience, women get their periods anywhere from two to six weeks after taking the drug. 

Pregnancy tests are accurate about 14 days after sex so if your tests were taken anywhere in the last two weeks then you are not pregnant.