Can spotting for a week be your actual period?

I've been spotting for almost a week and I'd like to know if its my period. I usually spot on the first day but the next days its a normal heavy flow. Is this normal or could it mean something else? And yes I am sexually active but my period always come at the end of the month and the spotting startes at the beginning of the month,

It's not too common to spot for so long before your period comes on but this does happen with some women and is not necessarily a sign of pregnancy since implantation bleeding is a drops of blood over a couple of days, rather than a week.

How long has this been going on - is it just this month? If you have not been using protection, a pregnancy test is a good idea.