Can you get pregnant if you had intercourse right after withdrawal bleeding or menstruation?

By June 2, 2016 - 7:33pm

The 1st day of my last menstruation was May 2, 2016. My bf and I had unprotected intercourse May 15 and I was fertile that time (I guess, because my mucus was clear and it was really stretchable). After around 45 minutes, I took 4 pills of Nordette as ECP, then took 4 pills again for the 2nd dose after 12 hours. May 25, I had spotting, I was nervous that it may be implantation bleeding. May 29, I took a pregnancy test and it was Negative. May 30, I had my menstruation (or withrawal bleeding, I don't know). June 1, my menstruation was almost over, I only had really scanty blood (normally, my menstruation is 3-4 days). So my bf penetrated me without any kind of protection and he ejaculated inside. Yesterday night (June 2), menstruation was really over, we did it again with no condom, but this time, he didn't ejaculate inside, but then of course there is precm. So now I'm really worried, is there a high possibility of becoming pregnant considering the things I did?

Hi Vaughn

Yes you are risking pregnancy. Having unprotected sex during your fertile period is what you do when you want a pregnancy, not when you don't. You're playing a game of "how close can I get to pregnancy without getting pregnant" which is irresponsible.

Since you bled after taking Nordette you don't have a risk but sex right after your period can lead to pregnancy if you ovulate early as sperm can stay alive in your body for up to 5 days. This doesn't happen often but certainly does happen. Use a condom if you don't want to get pregnant.

Hi Susan, thank you for your reply.
Yes, what I am doing is totally irresponsible. My bf doesn't like wearing condom and I know I'll be uncomfortable wearing female condom, IUD, cervical cap, or others. I'm also afraid of OC pills because of their side effects (short and long term) and their possible contribution to illness (like cancer). But I'm considering taking OC pills anyway. I would specifically try Althea.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Vaugn)

Hi Vaugn!

Your boyfriend needs to use a condom, it's not worth risking YOUR health and well-being. He is being selfish.

I'm glad you are looking into contraception. There are risks and benefits to the Pill but it can also help prevent certain cancers and usually the benefits far outweigh the risks. Until you have this sorted, you need to insist on condoms.