Can you get pregnant if you miss 2 pills in week 3?

Kay im 21 and i just recently started the pill, this would be my 2nd month. i am very forgetful but am slowly getting used to it. anyways the first 2 days of week 3 being Monday and Tuesday i forgot my pills and didnt double up as i have only just read about that now. We had sex Sunday Nite, Monday Morning and Wednesday Nite and now being Friday i have noticed that i may be spotting? could i become pregnant? what do i do from now? also does it matter if i didnt start my pills in the grey shaded area. I didnt take the red tablets on my first pack of pills so dont know if it is normal to be spotting right now or when i would be due for my period. does anyone know

Dear Anon

Anytime you miss pills, don't make them up and have unprotected sex, then you can get pregnant. You should expect your withdrawal bleeding while in the pill (commonly
called your period but it isn't really when on the pill) around days 23-28 (give or take). The spotting could be for any reason, including your withdrawal bleeding coming - what day are you on now?

With regard to not knowing you had to make up the pills if you forget them, I'm a bit shocked that you didn't know this! Did you think you can miss pills and not get pregnant? Did you read up on the literature in the pill packet or talk to your doctor about this? You should take some time today to read everything about your brand of birth control pill.

As to the "red tablets" or "pills in the gray shaded area" - I can't help you with this as there are dozens and dozens of birth control pills, each with their own colors and shades and I don't know what brand of pill you are on. You need to log on to the manufacturers website and do some thorough research.

In the meantime you'll have to wait it out, unfortunately. And a good idea is to carry some condoms or have fast access to Plan B (a pill you can take up to 72 hours after unprotected sex to avoid pregnancy; it's not a guarantee but it is effective for many women) in case you miss your pill.

Best of luck to you and I hope you get your bleeding ASAP!

Hi Susan
Thanks for your advice. i have taken the time on the weekend to read through liteature on the pil packet,, guess i should have done that in the first place, at the moment im on day 22 first day of the sugar pills? i just didnt know if it was normal to start spotting before that, i started spotting 7 days ago and still am continuing to spot. Its not normal for my body and it started out pink and is now brown:( and i have really bad cramps, cramps i normally dont get. i guess it would be to soon tew tell if i was pregnant. As for not doubling up on the pill, i think thats me being blonde i guess i thought if you mised one then you would just have to start al over again, stupid i know, but now that i have knowledge i wont be doing that again, how long before i can know im pregnant? thanks for your advice it does really help

(reply to Anonymous)

I'm glad Susan was able to provide you with some helpful information!

You can take a home pregnancy test once you have missed your period (or "withdrawal bleeding", since you are on the pill. It's the bleeding that occurs when you take the non-hormone-containing pills or "sugar pills"); any earlier than that, the test will not be accurate. Since you've been experiencing some spotting, it may be the withdrawal bleeding or breakthrough bleeding (basically, any bleeding that occurs in between when your period is supposed to start).

Is this more confusing?

I would suggest waiting until the last day of your non-hormone-containing "sugar" pills, and if you still have not started your regular period, take a home pregnancy test at that time.

It is normal to start spotting before your "sugar pills" when you miss pills, as your system is confused with a sudden absence of the synthetic hormones. It is nothing harmful, just your body's reaction to taking pills and then suddenly not having any pills for two days in-a-row.

The color does not matter...it can be pink, red or brown, and only indicates how long the blood has been around and/or if it is mixed with any cervical fluid (or vaginal secretions). Brown blood typically has been around a little longer, and is exposed to the air, so it turns the red blood brown. Again, nothing to worry about. Pink blood is typically mixed with vaginal secretions, which literally dilutes the red into a pinkish color.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

thanks alison i feel i am learning alot and that has helped alot and i think has answered most my questions. i have another one just to be sure, you know how i was spotting before my sugar pills, while this morning i am taking my 1st sugar pills of the 7 pills, i was still spotting last nite but i am noticing now that i am not spotting? it may be to early but just wanted to check if i dont have any withdrawl blood by the time the sugar pills are finished is that normal because i was spotting before i took the sugar pill or is it abnormal? i hope i made sense cause i think i just confused myself :D

(reply to Anonymous)

Ha! It is confusing (not you...our monthly cycles!).

Basically, the answer is "we don't know". Great, right?!

When you miss pills, it really makes your cycle unpredictable and irregular, so there are so many possibilities. The spotting you experienced before the sugar pills was most likely your body's withdrawal from the hormones, or the spotting could have been "breakthrough bleeding" that is common when just beginning birth control pills. It could have also been a super-light "period". No one would know for sure, and the only way for your cycle to get back-on-track with your pills is to take them every day, about the same time, during your next few cycles. You may still experience breakthrough bleeding (or spotting) and this is OK.

Regarding your not knowing if you are pregnant...I would wait until you take your last sugar pill, and take the test at that time. That way, you've given yourself the week for either your period to start, or enough of the "pregnancy hormone" to show up on a home pregnancy test.

Today is February 2nd, and I'm not sure I know how long ago your unprotected sex occurred? You said Sunday and Monday...and if this was just yesterday and the day-before, you can still take emergency contraception (Plan B) to lower your chances of pregnancy.

A home pregnancy test may show up with negative results, if you had sex just a few days ago, as it takes a few weeks for enough "pregnancy hormone" to show up clearly on the test. If you do not ever get your period, your test shows up negative at the end of your sugar pills, you may want to take another test 2-3 weeks from now (or, just wait for your next period), to confirm that you are not pregnant.

Does this all make sense? If not, please let me know!

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

yes it does make sense thank you, our bodys are weird things :D regarding the unprotected sex it was not the Sunday and Monday just gone it was the Sunday and Monday the week before. I guess i will just have to wait another month to see if my period comes just to be sure, gosh that is a long wait :D i am not 2 keen on having a baby but my partner seems to be fine with it, men these days :D