Is this common after stopping estrogen?

My dr would not order estrogen for me anymore after being on it for over 30 years.
I stopped using my vivelle dot almost three months ago.
Now I'm moody, get hot, am having trouble sleeping and having heart skips.
I would like to know if this can be from low estrogen, and if it's safe to stay on it.

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your question.

Hormone replacement therapy, also known as HRT, hormone therapy, menopausal therapy, and estrogen therapy, is the use of the female hormones, estrogen and progesterone, to treat and manage reproductive issues in women.

Hormone replacement therapy has gone through many evolutions in terms of its name, how it is used, and what it is used for. But, primarily, it is used to treat and manage the symptoms associated with both perimenopause and menopause.

Hormone Replacement Therapy for Perimenopause Symptoms

When women enter perimenopause, their hormones begin to fluctuate (sometimes wildly) and produce a variety of bothersome symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, erratic menstrual cycles, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, and unwanted weight gain.

Hormone replacement therapy can be extremely effective in treating and managing these symptoms for a lot of women by balancing hormones and stabilizing fluctuations. Two of the most common symptoms of perimenopause, hot flashes and night sweats, both caused by fluctuating and low levels of estrogen, can be managed using estrogen therapy.

However, it is also important to understand the benefits of estrogen must be balanced with progesterone to help guard against any increased risk for uterine cancer in women who still have a uterus.

Anon, are you using progesterone too? Why did you doctor take you off this medication? What were his/her reasons?

We hope to hear back from you. In the meantime read more here: http://www.empowher.com/menopause/content/role-estrogen-therapy-menopausal-women

I had a complete hysterectomy and the Drs I've seen all agreed I didn't need progesterone.

My doctor is just very wary of anyone using estrogen.
He keeps saying to try natural remedies which I'm not keen about.
I did find a new gp and his nurse practitioner who will prescribe the vivelle dot patches I've been on.
I'm just kind of worried about getting breast cancer, stroke, etc on it.
Plus, over 30 years is a long time to use it, but I can't sleep and the other symptoms I've got without using it are awful.
I especially don't like the heart palpitations that come and go.
They feel like flutters or missed beats.
Are these common with low estrogen?
So, I guess I'll stay on it, but how long should it take for my symptoms to ease up?

Hi again!

I wasn't aware that you had a full hysterectomy.

I understand the discomfort of low estrogen.

Low estrogen has been linked to heart disease but we can't say if that is what is causing the fluttering - it could be. Heart palpitations are frightening.

Your symptoms could stop in a matter of days or weeks. Each woman reacts differently.

There are pros and cons to every medication we take. You have to decide what is worth the risk and what is not. Discuss (again) the possible side effects with the nurse practitioner and listen to your body.

Keep us posted!