Condom used without breakage, but period is late. Should I worry?

By Anonymous December 28, 2014 - 8:55am

I am 18 and had sex for the first time a couple of weeks ago two nights in a row. We used a condom both times and checked for breaks, even going as far as pouring water into the used condom to be sure. We found no leakage, but I am a day late for my usually regular period. I use a period planning app and we were intimate on days that were projected as fertile for me, but the only way I would have had vaginal contact with semen is if the condom broke. We never once went in without one or got his penis close to my vagina when he had preejaculate. I had my normal PMS symptoms earlier last week such as increased appetite, mood swings, and mild cramps, but have yet to start. There was a slight tenderness of my nipples which is pretty uncommon for me, though it is a period symptom for some. I have been peeing frequently, but I think it's because I'm really on edge and continuously checking for any sight of blood. My breasts feel a little bigger, but I could also be psyching myself out; I am very paranoid and worried. I was not on any birth control and I don't plan to have sex again until I am, due to the stressful and worrying fear of not knowing like now. I was very stressed due to finals at the beginning of the month, and my last period carried over into this month a day or two longer than usual. It was also a heavier and longer period than usual in general. I've researched a lot and know I am most likely late due to the fact that I'm stressing and worrying about it so much, but I would like some advice to help put me at ease. I know I'm not very late yet, but I'm just very scared because I don't know how I could cope with a pregnancy at this time in my life. When should I worry enough to take a test and how many should I take to be sure that I'm ok?

Anonymous

Me and my girlfriend have never had unprotected sex, we always check for holes except this one time and I'm really scared because she's three days late and is not feeling any pregnancy symptoms or period pains. She says she's never regular and that she's been in this position before ( 3 days late and no pains/symptoms) but I'm really freaking out!

Hello Anon

It's ok, the odds of pregnancy are extremely low; less than two percent.

Don't freak your girlfriend out, that will upset her and cause stress which in turn can upset the menstrual cycle. If she's irregular, then that's what's going on.

She can always take a pregnancy test for total peace of mind.
Her period will be along when it's ready. The body doesn't work like clockwork.

Anonymous

Hello, I am 16 and I had sex with my boyfriend a little less than a month ago. We used a condom but my period is almost two weeks late. I haven't had any signs of pregnancy nor have I been throwing up. I am still worried and i am freaking out.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Stress can cause a delay. If it would give you peace of mind, take an early response pregnancy test. Test in the morning and use the urine when you wake up. Seeing the result may settle this for you.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello, I had sex twice on my last period but he removed his penis before ejaculating and we checked the condom afterwards with water and there no holes. I was due on my period on the 15th and it is now the 17th. I have had no cramps or sore boobs which I usually get and starting to panic.

Thanks

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Try your best to relax because stressing will only cause a further delay. It sounds like you were protected and not at any risk for becoming pregnant.

Regards,

Anonymous

Same condition the condom didnt slip break
Or leak i poured water in it to make sure
But still my girl missed her periods shes 3 days late to periods
We both are stressed
Pregenacy kit showed negative results
Plz suggest help....

Another question, could stress be making me feel sick as well? Ever since I've started worrying I have diarrhea and occasionally feel like I'm going to throw up. I also feel feverish at times and my pulse is elevated along with my blood pressure. Could this be worrying as far as pregnancy or am I really just getting way to worked up about it?

Guide (reply to hoome)

Hello,

Yes, stress can definitely give you all the symptoms you have mentioned.  Think of it this way, when you are worried about something, you tend to put your focus on that instead of taking care of yourself and being happy.  When you stop taking care of yourself and doing things that make you happy, you can physically start to break down.  Often we don't even realize that what we are doing differently because all we have been thinking about is that one thing that is causing stress and worry.

So, once again, yes, stress can be the culprit here.  Let us know if you have any more concerns.  EmpowHer is here for you!

Faith

Anonymous (reply to fchacon)

ma'am i am 25 years and had sex with my bf. he used condom but didn't checked for leakage but when he ejacualated he checked the sperms were in condom and he couldn't noticed if any leakage
but my period is missed 11 days and still no sign of pregnancy but worried.
And how much more time can it take to start of periods and can I be pregnant
also it has been 28 days since we had sex
really worried help me ma'am plsss