Q: 

Condom used without breakage, but period is late. Should I worry?

By Anonymous December 28, 2014 - 8:55am

I am 18 and had sex for the first time a couple of weeks ago two nights in a row. We used a condom both times and checked for breaks, even going as far as pouring water into the used condom to be sure. We found no leakage, but I am a day late for my usually regular period. I use a period planning app and we were intimate on days that were projected as fertile for me, but the only way I would have had vaginal contact with semen is if the condom broke. We never once went in without one or got his penis close to my vagina when he had preejaculate. I had my normal PMS symptoms earlier last week such as increased appetite, mood swings, and mild cramps, but have yet to start. There was a slight tenderness of my nipples which is pretty uncommon for me, though it is a period symptom for some. I have been peeing frequently, but I think it's because I'm really on edge and continuously checking for any sight of blood. My breasts feel a little bigger, but I could also be psyching myself out; I am very paranoid and worried. I was not on any birth control and I don't plan to have sex again until I am, due to the stressful and worrying fear of not knowing like now. I was very stressed due to finals at the beginning of the month, and my last period carried over into this month a day or two longer than usual. It was also a heavier and longer period than usual in general. I've researched a lot and know I am most likely late due to the fact that I'm stressing and worrying about it so much, but I would like some advice to help put me at ease. I know I'm not very late yet, but I'm just very scared because I don't know how I could cope with a pregnancy at this time in my life. When should I worry enough to take a test and how many should I take to be sure that I'm ok?

Anonymous

I am on my third pack of birth control. I take it religiously at the same time every day. I have never been more than 30 minutes late in taking the pill. My partner and I also use condoms every time. None have broken to our knowledge. I am a couple days late for my period. Could I be pregnant or is this a natural fluctuation in my cycle/my body getting used to the hormonal birth control? Thank you!!

Anonymous

Hey.
My boyfriend and I had protected sex on the 7th of October and as of today (18th) I'm a week late for my period. we're positive that the condom didn't break. although I have bee stressing too much because exams and I was recently hurt. So should I take a test or is it just a case of irregular periods?

Hello Anon

Take a test to rule out pregnancy. If negative, put it down to stress.

Anonymous

Hello,
So about 4 weeks ago (15 -17 sep) me and my girlfriend had sex and again 1 week later and both times we used a condom. For the past 2 weeks, she said she had on off cramps but it was tolerable cramps. She doesnt have the very common pregnancy symptoms other than the occasional cramps but she is 6 days late already. This isnt the first time where her period was late (last period was 3 days late) but im just worried that she could be pregnant. We are having some deadlines to meet recently so it may have affected her but im just really worried as we are not ready to have a child yet.

Hello Anon

If you are using condoms then it's likely that stress could be causing the delay.
A pregnancy test should be taken, however, to rule it out.

Anonymous

Hi, so me and my gf had sex about 3 weeks ago and again 2 weeks ago. Both times we used a condom and there was no breakage but shes 4 days late. We have been going through projects and exams for the past week but is there any chance she is pregnant?

Hello Anon
Very unlikely that is is pregnant - stress can delay periods.
However, a pregnancy test can let you know for sure.

Anonymous

I had the same experience once. I had sex for the first time, I was 21 (I am 22 now). Afterwards, closer to the time when my period was due, I really started freaking out. I aggressively read up about pregnancy symptoms and was sure I had most of them. I went crazy about the thought of being pregnant. Some days went by and my period was almost 6 days late. On that day I went to the doctor and told her that I am really sure that I am pregnant. So she let me do a blood test and said by the afternoon I should come back and we'll see what the test say. I went home crying thinking what I am going to do about the situation (nobody knew of this except for my boyfriend). I went back that afternoon and got the test results. It was negative. I couldn't believe it because I went so crazy for almost 2 weeks thinking I was pregnant. When I got home from the doctor I started with my period. It really is true when we are told to just relax. It was really all the stress that made my period so late. I've been regular since.

Anonymous

Hi , i had protected sex with my gf. After sex, i checked condom and there were no leakages. Her last period was started on 24th july and she had irregular periods . We had sex twice in august both time protected. She haven't received her periods yet. She have missed her periods many of times but don't know why im freaking out. I love her and i don't want to put her in any trouble.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

If she has a history of irregular periods, she may just be late again..

She may want to speak with her gynecologist about starting oral contraceptives, which might help regulate her cycle.

Regards,

Tags: