Cycle Seems All Screwed Up...

I am 22 years old. My last period began August 27th. My cycles vary a lot, but are usually around 32 days (last month was 40).

I started feeling some back pressure around Sept. 11th, but ignored it, thinking it would just go away. On Sept. 12th,I was taking my first plane flight across the country to go on a cruise. I noticed some spotting on this day and the next day. This is highly unusual for me. If memory serves me correctly, it was pretty red in coloration. Back pressure and pain continued throughout the trip along with some abdominal pain. On the flight back (Sept. 21st.), I experienced a little more bleeding mixed in with the discharge when I wiped. I also had a small cold at this time.

I got really hungry in the next few weeks and imagined my period was coming. Around the time I expected it, my moods went crazy, going from severe depression to irritation and back to depression. My back still aches like crazy, always has pressure (like someone pressing on my tailbone), I get shooting pains in my left side and some in my vaginal walls. Some fluttery feelings in lower abdomen. Knee spasms. After eating, the pain seems more severe. Breast pain comes and goes.

I also had some blood in my discharge this Saturday (Oct. 5th), but browner in color this time.

There has to be something going on with my hormones. I have not had unprotected sex; we use condoms and he does not finish inside of me. I took a urine pregnancy test at the doctor on Friday, Oct. 4th, which came back negative. Any thoughts? This is very stressful for me.

It does not appear that you are pregnant since you have tested negative at the doctor's office and you are having protected sex.

You do seem to have irregular periods, up to nearly 7 weeks apart at times.

Anon, do you have a history of ovarian cysts, do you know? These can cause pain and irregular bleeding, and sometimes back pain However, other reproductive conditions can (some women can get back pain during normal ovulation) cause pain too, like endometriosis and uterine fibroids.

Anon, I think it's very important to go in for a full pelvic exam and talk to your doctor about this pain. If it is unconnected to your reproductive system then your doctor can refer you from there.

Is it possible for you to make an appointment?

Thank you for your reply! I have an appointment in two weeks, as that is the earliest I could get in. I went to Urgent Care yesterday because I was struggling with the pain, and I was prescribed some tramadol. My neck and upper back began feeling very stiff and achy yesterday, and continue to feel stiff. Pressure in back and left side still present.

To my knowledge, I do not have a history of ovarian cysts. About a year ago I experienced some pelvic/back pain for about two weeks, but not as severe as this, and the doctor wouldn't do a pap test because, at that point, I had never been sexually active.

I was wondering if it could be an ovarian cyst, but I also have heard that cysts usually do not cause symptoms? My boyfriend insists that I'm NOT pregnant. I think that's something I'm just going to worry about until I have a period, especially considering that everything in the world seems to be a symptom of pregnancy.

Thank you, I really appreciate this forum~

Hi again Anon!

I don't think you're pregnant either but we can't tell for sure.

Some women have no pain at all from ovarian cysts but many do. You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/ovarian-cysts - on the left side of the page will give you a lot of info.

I'm glad you are seeing a doctor soon!