Does the Depo shot hurt?

By November 2, 2015 - 8:42am

I have been told that the depo shot hurts but only if you get it in your arm. People have said that they get it in their butt and it doesn't hurt as bad. And my main concern is the bleeding... since I have a heavy period (lasts 8 days) and I have to wear a pad and the super plus tampons, will the bleeding be worse or better with the shot? I am terrified of needles but I really am looking into getting this shot.

I only weigh 120 on my period.... my biggest fear is the pain... i get IVs in my hand, is that pretty much how this shot will feel?

Guide (reply to kasandraharper)

Hi kasandraharper,

Personally, I think an injection is less painful than having an intravenous line started. Maybe, because I have poor veins following several courses of chemotherapy.

You will feel the initial insertion of the needle and within seconds it is out. A quick sharp pinch.

Hello kasandraharper,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community. I don't think many people like getting injections and some are more fearful than others.

As a nurse and patient, I will tell you it is all in the technique, injection site and size of the needle.

The Depo-Provera injection is an intramuscular injection, which means it is administered into muscle. The needle gauge for an IM injection should be 22 to 25 gauge.

If you weigh between 130 to 152 lbs, a one inch length needle will be used. If you weigh less than 130 lb, a 5/8 inch needle will be used. Injections sites include the upper, outer quarter of either buttocks or the gluteus medius muscle located in the hip, if you want to avoid the deltoid muscle located in the upper arm.

Being distracted (you, not the healthcare provider) can help.

Good luck,