Does the menstrual cycle affect the symptoms of ulcerative colitis? Can it trigger a flare-up?

Looks like a shortage of information on this issue. My UC came on with my first pregnancy, flared badly with my second pregnancy and has been extremely mild for 15 years until now when I've stopped having periods. I'm not taking any drugs for the menopause, the symptoms are tolerable (so far). I've been taking asacol regularly for years.

I am also a female with long term UC who is finding it has flared badly recently and believe that I am in menopause (hard to tell as steroids can mess with the cycle) and wondering if this is playing a part. Have found very little research about it. Am wondering if things might improve after menopause.

Anon, thank you so much for your question.

I am assuming you have colitis, and that you're having increased symptoms around the time of your period?

The answer is yes, that symptoms do worsen (in both ulcerative colitis and in Crohn's Disease) around the time of your period, due to the changes in your levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Some women go on birth control pills to help control the symptoms.

It's also common for women with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) also have flare-ups related to their periods.

Here are a couple of resources that discuss this:

Can you tell us what specifically is happening with you?

(reply to Diane Porter)

I have a question too. I am now in the menopause and my UC has flared and I am not responding to the usual UC meds. Is the menopause complicating my condition and does anyone have a solution that worked for them? Please advise. Thank you.

(reply to Robin SD)

Menopause could be complicating your UC symptoms, as your hormones are changing; similar to women's UC symptoms flaring around the time of their periods since their hormones are fluctuating.

Are you currently using any type of treatment for your menopausal symptoms?

(reply to Alison Beaver)

Thank you. I take Dr. Schutze's Female drops and it prevents hot flashes.
What should I be taking? I really need to end my UC flare as it has changed my quality of life and threatens my ability to work.
My menopause has caused me to experience loss of joy/happiness, I'm moody and I was having warm flashes at night.

(reply to Robin SD)

Thank you for your additional information.

I will do some research, and see what I can find. I understand how UC can absolutely impact your quality of life. I am so sorry you are going through this.

We will get back to you soon with some more information!

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

I am having the same issues have responded well with Asacol to control my flair ups until I started going threw menopause. I have not been taking anything for my menopause. So I was hoping to find out more on this subject or if taking hormones has helped with getting the UC back under control.

Ulcerative Colitis