Eye Twitching, Make it stop!!!

By June 1, 2009 - 12:28pm

I am going on day 6 of my right eye twitching. Just about every 30 minutes it will beginning twitching for about a minute. It is getting just plain annoying! Why is this happening and how can I make it stop!?

I have read that it is caused by lack of sleep or stress, but I am not experiencing either. I have not injured my eye nor have I ever had this happen before.

What can I do?

There is always a root cause for anything unusual in our bodies. Eye twitches are a sign of low magnesium for the most part. Have you had your mineral levels checked lately? Electrical signals in muscles (the eye muscles included)are carried by various minerals, when their balance gets disrupted by poor nutrition, exercise, stress, etc your muscles will tell you that they need attention. For example high levels of calcium cause muscle twiches when the ratio to magnesium is off. The rule is 2:1 ratio. Check your diet and see if you are eating more calcium containing foods and not enough magnesium containing foods.

Green vegetables such as spinach are good sources of magnesium because the center of the chlorophyll molecule (which gives green vegetables their color) contains magnesium. Some beans, peas, nuts, seeds, and whole, unrefined grains are also good sources of magnesium.

Breads and other refined grains are generally low in magnesium. When white flour is processed, the magnesium rich germ and bran are removed. But bread made from whole grain wheat flour provides more magnesium than bread made from white refined flour.

(reply to Coach Virginia)

When you said the ratio on Calcium to Magnesium is 2 to 1. Which one is which?
Thanks Jinger

I had eye twitches similar to yours and i got plenty of sleep, was not stressed, and am sure it was not hereditary. After much annoyance and testing and reading some other issues on http://www.eyecaresource.com/conditions/eye-twitching/ I tried switching to Decaf and what do you know, NO MORE eye twitching. So this might be a solution.

Thank you for your question!

Last year my left eye began to twitch (eye twitches are also known as blepharospasm) - for no apparent reason, either! It took about 9 months to stop. Some days it twitched just a few times, other days it twitched literally hundreds of times. And it stopped as suddenly as it started. I agree - it's very annoying!

You are right, a lot of it is down to stress or fatigue, but sometimes there is slight nerve or muscle damage in the eye that is causing the twitch. There could also be a neurological cause.

From Eye Doctor Guide:

Occasional eye twitching is typically not a case for concern. Eye Twitching is associated with an abnormal function of the "basal ganglion" from an unknown cause. The basal ganglion is the part of the brain responsible for controlling the muscles. In rare cases, heredity may play a role in the development of eye twitching. Some believe the eye twitching is a hereditary problem that may run in families. So chances are if you experience the occasional eye twitch someone else in your family will too. Some people find eye twitching a result of nothing more than anxiety. Let's say for example you have a big speech to give in front of a large audience. If you are not comfortable with the idea of public speaking, you may notice your eye starts twitching. This is similar to a nervous "tick" people develop when facing uncomfortable situations. The catch here is the more you think about your eye twitching, the more likely it is to continue twitching."

Most cases, like mine, go away on their own. Other people have chosen surgery, Botox or stress management.

I found it very true that the more I focused on the twitch, the more it happened. Relaxation techniques may really help here.

Are you straining your eyes (on a computer etc) a lot?

Eyes & Vision

Eyes & Vision Guide