Fresh blood into period???

By Anonymous January 11, 2010 - 11:55am

I got my period on the 7th of the month, as expected. I normally blled for the 1st 2 days then it starts to decline, lasting only 4 days in total. 2 days into my period I had an unexplained rush of fresh blood, which bypassed my tampon. The new blood lasted for 2 days and has only just subsided today!!!! Help!!!!

please help me..I can't understand why i am experiencing to much bleeding after my period. It was fresh blood and last for 4 days. Is it normal?..is it because of stress?..what will I do to cure this and avoid this?

How long did your regular period last? Did the latest bleeding start toward the end or was there a gap? If there was a gap - how many days was the gap?  Also, are you taking birth control? Are you sexually active? Please answer these questions so that we can help you more. We hope to hear back from you soon!

Hi I am 25 years old and have too have had a change of fresh blood in my cycle which can be really quite scary so much so I had even called an ambulance the first time this happened. I have a period which lasts around 7 days but tends to ease off on the 5th day, after a visit to my GP I have been told that it is completly natural and have been prescribed Tranexamic Acid tablets which help to slow the bleeding and help the blood to clot this really helped but have now been advised to try contraception in the form of the pill or the coil to control it!!!! I still don't feel happy on my periods and dread them but I hope the pill can help me either that or I shall have to learn to live with it (even though I hate blood)!

Hi Anon - I can understand why you're concerned, and was glad to read that the Tranexamic Acid tablets have been helping you. There are many options available to help you in managing your menstrual cycles, and information can be helpful in working with your GP to find the right solutions for your situation. I hope you will try to learn as much as you can, and if you have questions we would be happy to help you with research support for answers.
Take care, Pat

I am 29 years old.

Dear Anon

Our period can change from month to month, even if we tend to have a very similar cycle in a very regular basis.

Since the average period is about 5 days long (give or take a couple of days) your experience does not seem very unusual, even though it's not something you normally experience. Fresh blood in the middle of your period is perfectly normal.

If you have worries or your instincts tell you something is wrong (or you bleed on days that you don't have your period) by all means contact your doctor.

But from every you say, what you're experiencing sounds normal.

Our period changes as we get older and can even be different in our 20s than it was in our teens. May I ask your age?