Chicken Pox

ask: Getting Varicella vaccine..

By roxygirl30

If I am not positive if I have had the chickenpox virus or not, is it okay that I get the Varicella vaccine even if there is a chance that I have already had the virus?

I am just wondering if it would do any harm to me if it turns out that I have had the chickenpox already and get the vaccine just to be safe?

I have to get the vaccine or show proof from a Titer test that I have had the virus. But, I don't want to do both the shot and the blood test. If there would be no harm in getting the vaccine just to be sure, then I will go that route!

Hello roxygirl30,

I would like to welcome you to the EmpowHER website and thank you for reaching out to us to answer your question.

It is apparent from your post that you are not 100% certain that you have had chickenpox. There is no harm in receiving the varicella vaccine if you have already had the virus.

But, roxygirl30, why not get the titer blood test first?