Q: 

Has anyone had a failed robotic pyeloplasty?

By Anonymous February 1, 2011 - 12:30pm

Had a robotic pyeloplasty to repair upj obstruction/narrowing about 6 months ago. Testing revealed no improvement in kidney function after surgery. My doctor then did laser surgery to remove possible scar tissue he thought had formed due to my previous surgery. That did not help either. I just found out I have nephroptosis (my kindey drops into my pelvic region while standing). I believe my renal function is 66/34. I am getting repeat testing in about 3 months. I have discomfort off/on daily but it is tolerable. I dread more surgery. Has anyone had a failed robotic pyeloplasty? My nephroptosis didn't come about until after my second surgery. Is that coincidense or could it have been a result of surgery?

Anonymous

I’m about 5 months post robotic Pyloplasty I have pain every day, it seems to be located higher and does not radiate to my side or back like before. Next week marks one year of pain and misery with this kidney, I’m seriously just wanting it out. I have 16% usage but it is draining. Have any of you had this higher pain after surgery?

I have chronic kidney and ureter pain. Had to ureter surgeries and most recently a pyeloplasty. I had acute epigastric pain radiating into my back a few days ago (about 6 weeks postop) I believe it's the kidney again

I had my surgery last October. Since then the pain still comes and goes but the pain is more concentrated in one location and I'm not nauseated. So I guess it's better but I still don't feel good. My doctors said my kidney is draining a little better after surgery and he thinks this is successful but for me I still hurt a lot and I'm frustrated.

Anonymous

Hi all, I'm a 37 year old male and starting a few years back I began experiencing right flank pain on and off sometimes so severe that I'd be close to passing out. About every 3-4 months I'd suffer what's commonly called a Dietl's Crisis (Usually brought on by drinking too much liquids). I also had high blood pressure in the 160/100 range. Scans showed that I had a UPJ obstruction and that surgery was required. This year in May I had a reduction pyeloplasty. Stent was in for a total of 12 weeks and was taken out in June. Fast forward to now my blood pressure is lower than it was before, now typically between (120 / 80) - (130 / 85). The issue that I seem to be having is that I frequently have dull pain on the right side again. I occasionally get sharp pains that last a couple of minutes and then pass. I'm more worried about the dull ache / pain as it's more frequent and much longer lasting. Some days are definitely better than others. I certainly feel that I can drink more liquids than before and I haven't had what I would consider a Dietl's crisis yet but I'm concerned about the low level pain on the right side. Certain positions can make the pain worse like if I bend or squat down which I assume is putting pressure on the area. My surgeon's assistant told me not to worry as all of this is just normal pain from the surgery that I had and that I'm still healing. It's been like 3 months since my surgery. I will have a Lasix Renal scan done next month in September but I'm concerned about the pain now. Has anyone else experienced these types of pains? If you do have mild to moderate pain was your UPJ surgery successful? How can I tell from my upcoming Lasix Renal Scan if my surgery was successful?
Thanks all!

Hi so my son is 10 and about to have his 3rd surgery for UPJ obstruction. The first surgery was when he was about 5. The problems lessoned a little but never stopped. Things started getting back to post surgery so they thought it was scar tissue so we had a second surgery to try and remove scar tissue. Again it helped for a while but now we are back to having episodes once a month so they are going back in and redoing the pyeloplasty in 2 weeks. So my question is we were told our son was born with the narrow ureter. So I'm wondering at 37 what would cause the ureter to now narrow. Did they tell u? Is it scar tissue? So I hate to tell you this but I can pretty much guarantee your not gonna get any answers for a while. They like to really wait and watch to see if things will get better. Was your surgery uneventful? Meaning everything went normally? How did you doneith the stent in?

Anonymous

My daughter had a UPJ obstruction with crossing arteries at 18. We did the surgury via robotics in 2010. She still presents with right flank pain (pressure, stabbing wringing) sensations. Sometimes things get so unbearable she gets real pale her blood pressure spikes and may make her sick. She also has a high tolerence to pain medication so it takes A LOT to help. We have been to so many hospitals who say all tests show nothing is wrong and send her no with zero help like she is a drug seeker. We have even gone the gastro route but we both feel it is still related to her kidney. Has anyone had the surgery and the pain remains as intense? Any advise? She currently live in the UK and are finding it even more difficult for her to get care. How do you find a health care professional who looks for the unusual tohelp his patients.
So Frustrated and worried for her

Will this ever stop? Im 25 years old, on my right kidney, had an open pyeloplasty in 2004, pain ALL the time (but bearable). Then in 2012 the issue returned. New doctor performed an endopyeloplasty (which i had major complications from). Now it's august 2015 and after an ER visit this morning, once again hydronephrosis was detected. Most surgeons will not remove the kidney because "kidney function improves after upj repair." I'm not too thrilled about having to "repair" this problem every few years. I'm not a person that takes medication, hate the idea of having to take narcotics just to live my life. This is very frustrating!

(reply to laurelleigh)

Hi Laurel

When I saw this post I couldn't believe it! It sounds exactly like me! I too am 25 and seem to have had the same problems! If you care to get in touch my email is sophieknox@live.co.uk x

Anonymous (reply to laurelleigh)

My daughter is 20 years old and had a pyeloplasty surgery at the age of 6 months. They actually picked up her UPJ obstruction on my maternal ultrasound. Anyway, fast forward 20 years and she ended up n the ER at college with a major kidney infection and blockage. They inserted a nephrostomy tube, she then had a procedure where they removed a few stones, cleared out some scar tissue and inserted a JJ balloon stent. This was all removed and she just went for a renal scan (6 months later) which shows hydronephrosis of the right kidney and an obstruction. So here are the choices the dr is giving her.1. let it be and the kidney will die, however she may get more infections and Uti,s, 2. redo pyleoplasty, which she cannot guarantee or 3 remove the kidney (she has 25% function on this kidney) All of these choices are not great but after reading all these posts, Im not very optimistic about going ahead with any surgery. Please let me know if anyone could add any helpful knowledge through your own experience. Thanks

Anonymous

My daughter is 8 and has had two failed surgeries. The last renal scan showed her left kidney was draining at 116 minutes and counting. I'm seeking a second opinion as well. She cant even play outside due to pain and NO pain control. They refuse any sort of medication for pain. I'm am heartbroken because she has begged me to just have it taken out. I'm interested in your outcomes. Please contact me at suezq0506@yahoo.com. I could use any helpful information. I'll be praying for you all!

Kidney Disease