Q: 

Has anyone had severe low back pain after seasonal flu shot?

By November 20, 2009 - 12:35pm

I took a mandatory flu shot at work Oct. 19, 2009 on my left arm. I had chills and a fever of 102* along with left arm aching pain, and a bout of severe low back pain within the first 2 weeks after receiving the shot. All other symptoms have since dissipated except for the severe low back pain and a strange wobbliness in my legs. The low back pain is bad enough to where I could not move by myself for a week, and now cannot really sit or bend without a high degree of constant pain.

Anonymous

I had a flu shot on Friday, October 6, 2017. By Friday night my lower back (left side) was hurting really bad. It hurts really bad when I try to pull myself up from a sitting or a laying position. Walking is a little difficult, it is hard to keep up with my husband, I have to walk a little slower. Bending is almost impossible. And it hurts to turn over when I am in bed. I have been rotating heat and ice on it. I hope this doesn't last to long.

I am experiencing exactly the same - I took my flu shot on October 12th 2017

I am feeling much better today

1) Drink as much water, fluids with electrolytes as much as you can
2) Sleep and Rest as much as you can
3) Eat healthy food and timely

These things helped me out, you can try too if appropriate for you

I just had shot on Tuesday Oct 10th as well and I am dying in pain with my low back in the middle and I also tried to rotate heat and ice a little relief but not totally. It feels like a severe stiffness and when I try to move I get stabbing pain--please update me to let me know how long it lasted for you or if you are still in pain

Anonymous

I am having lower back pain today after receiving the shot this past Wednesday at a work event. I was curious if it might have anything to do with the fact that I had the epidural during childbirth. Anyway I was happy that I came across this thread to at least validate that I am not going crazy thinking it was because of the flu shot that I am having this pain.

Anonymous

I had a flu shot on Wednesday evening and the day after developed severe lower back pain. It feels like it's in the sacrum area or lower lumbar. I immediately felt it was related to the flu shot and that's why I searched and found this thread. I feel like the shot had some sort of impact on tightening the muscles in my back and now they're pulling my spine out of whack.

Yes I too suffered severe back pain last year with the flu shot that lasted several days. I do have back issues but I know it was related to shot... It was bad. This year( knock on wood) no issues

(reply to Anonymous)

Maybe coincidental, but the exact thing happened to me. I had a flu shot last Wedns. in CA and that night my lower back went out for no apparent reason. I had an adjustment that morning and felt great. I went back to my chiro who said the muscles were in spasm. Two days later I am still in pain....

Anonymous

I had the flu shot today in Raleigh and this afternoon developed a back ache. Took two Advil but it has only gotten worse. Very painful in the center of my lower back, particularly with bending and getting up or down. Of course I took to the Internet and am thankful to live in a time when I can find others who have this going on. Doesn't explain it or help my back, but it eases my mind that likely this is from the shot and it will eventually go away.

Anonymous

I just got the flu shot yesterday. I ordinarily avoid vaccines entirely. I'm 43. Healthy. Active. But, last year had an accident that badly damaged my spleen, so am told I need the flu and pneumonia vaccine annually. HOLY CRAP!!! My low back is absolutely KILLING ME!! I feel like I have a raging kidney infection!

Low Back Pain