Low Back Pain

Low Back Pain Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: Has anyone had severe low back pain after seasonal flu shot?

By jsingh

I took a mandatory flu shot at work Oct. 19, 2009 on my left arm. I had chills and a fever of 102* along with left arm aching pain, and a bout of severe low back pain within the first 2 weeks after receiving the shot. All other symptoms have since dissipated except for the severe low back pain and a strange wobbliness in my legs. The low back pain is bad enough to where I could not move by myself for a week, and now cannot really sit or bend without a high degree of constant pain.

Anonymous

I had a flu shot Nov 11th 2014 and was sore all over,specially lower back, stiff body and wobbliness in my legs, hard to get out of the car or getting up from a setting position or getting up in the morning..., today I realize that I have been this way since the shot which I did not really want to get because my mother in France told me that her doctor refused to give flu shots to his patients due to a bad mix in the shot and people got really sick from them, I told that to the nurse who went to check with the doctor who said it was very safe since they had new batch and he insisted that I needed it since I had double pneumonia a few years ago.....I wish I had trusted my instinct and said No......

Anonymous

I also have extreme lower back pain, on the right side. It feels deep down, as if in the bone. Or I feel like if I twist hard enough, I could crack it, and the pain might go away (but not the case). Now the rest of my body is achy also. I received a flu shot on Dec. 1st (today is the 12th). That day and the next, it felt like my arm was going to fall off. Immediately when that pain dissipated, it felt like it went straight into my back. If I do extensive (painful) stretching, it seems to be less intense for a short while, then comes back. Sitting is worse than standing, and it seems to be better if I keep moving around. For the other posts here, how long did your pain last, or is it still present? I'd like to know about how long this lingers, if possible.

This was my original post, just writing to report that the back pain finally went away (took about two months). No amount of therapy made it go away, gave up on stretching and massages, only had relief with time passing. I'll never get a flu shot again. Rereading this post and others' posts made me remember how absolutely horrendous the pain was (must've blocked out the memory for a little while). Hope others are feeling better/well.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for the update Anon and I'm glad you're feeling better.

Anonymous

I had a flu shot over a month ago, durning the night of my flu shot, my lower back became increasingly more and more achy and when I woke up I was in pretty good lower back pain. Here I am over a month later and I still am suffering from the same lower back pain, only it is getting worse, Bending hurts, sometimes I can't even do that. Sitting, walking, standing hurts, driving is painful let alone getting out of the truck. Nothing and I mean nothing is working to take this away. I will never get a flu shot again it was my first one ever and my last.

Anonymous

I got a flu shot on Nov. 3rd at a Costco and about 45 minutes later I had severe kidney/lower back pain. It was an immediate onset and 5 days later, the pain is still so severe that I cannot bend or get in and out of my car.

Please seek immediate medical attention for these symptoms. You may be having a severe and serious reaction. 

To our readers with low back pain after a flu shot - please report this to your doctor as well as to the government body involved. You can find that link here:

https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

Please keep us posted on what your doctors advice or on anything that has worked to stop this side effect. 

Anonymous

i have lower back pain...3 weeks after shot...

Anonymous

I have had vevere lower back pain since receiving the flu shot 3 days ago.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :