Has anyone had severe low back pain after seasonal flu shot?

By November 20, 2009 - 12:35pm

I took a mandatory flu shot at work Oct. 19, 2009 on my left arm. I had chills and a fever of 102* along with left arm aching pain, and a bout of severe low back pain within the first 2 weeks after receiving the shot. All other symptoms have since dissipated except for the severe low back pain and a strange wobbliness in my legs. The low back pain is bad enough to where I could not move by myself for a week, and now cannot really sit or bend without a high degree of constant pain.

Anonymous

I just got the flu shot yesterday. I ordinarily avoid vaccines entirely. I'm 43. Healthy. Active. But, last year had an accident that badly damaged my spleen, so am told I need the flu and pneumonia vaccine annually. HOLY CRAP!!! My low back is absolutely KILLING ME!! I feel like I have a raging kidney infection!

Hi, any update on your condition? Have you seen a doctor? I got the flu shot a few days ago and I am having similar back pain.

Anonymous

I'm going 'thru hell' if I may just say that at once! Took this damn flu shot and now my back feels like it's being put thru the wringer.....to say the least! I can barely sit without some kinda lower back pain just around the lower back right between my buttocks and lower back! I don't know what else to say other than I was OK then within 48 hours or less I begin having these sharp pains everytime I moved, got up, sat down, even coughed and it hurt! Go figure! I believe that the CDC of America with it's ingenious ways of 'stimulating the economy' and making a few dollars for those that own partial stock are the ones behind this ugly mess in the medical industry. Shame on them! I hope they get sued and taken to the cleaners for good! I'm so tired of being lied to and now my very own health! As if I could take anymore of this life!!!!!

Anonymous

Finding this thread has calmed my fears about recent health problems after getting a flu shot here in Austin, TX. After getting the flu shot the end of Oct. 2016, my right arm was killing me much worse than any past flu shots. The next morning my arm pain had gone away but my back was hurting. It felt like the pain in my arm had moved to my back and I became convinced the pain was from the flu shot.

A few nights later, I woke up in the middle of the night with stabbing back pain and the underside of my thighs were moving involuntarily and so were my armpit muscles. My back and legs were numb and I was scared to move them for fear that it would cause a nerve problem in my spine. I lay still for a few minutes and gradually started moving my legs until feeling came back; then slid across the bed and slowly got up once I felt circulation come back. My husband massaged my back the next day and I got blurred vision for about 5 minutes.

Last night I woke up again with numbness in my back and legs and my fingers started cramping up. I moved them too fast and now am having trouble controlling them. I wish I had been more patient and slowly got circulation to start flowing before trying to move. Anti-inflammatory foods help: broccoli, green tea, green veggies. I have been drinking lots of water and I sleep on my right side because sleeping on my back or left side seems to bring on the numbness and muscle convulsions.

I will update when it seems to have gone away. So far it has been almost two weeks and the back pain has improved slightly but the numbing and muscle twitching (the scary part) has not improved.

Please keep me posted as to how things are going for you. I had a flu shot on 11/11/16 in Montana at a Health Fair Clinic and a few hours later had developed severe back pain that I can't shake off. I am having an MRI for an unrelated issue on Monday 11/14/16 (eye surgery) and I am hoping that I may find some results that way as well. Thanks to everyone who has commented for suggestions on this string for assistance to this matter.

UPDATE: The involuntary muscle movements have ceased this past week (week 3) and the stabbing pain near my spine is gone. I still have aching spine/back that seems to happen only at night.

I woke up two nights ago and my mind did not seem to be functioning normally. I got up and started writing; I wrote and wrote until I felt like my mind was functioning normally again then went back to sleep.

Obvious symptoms have gone away this past week but I still feel something is not quite right. I will continue to update and hope hope hope that this problem that many of us seem to have is only temporary.

Thanks for your reply. If you would, please let me know what your symptoms have been and whether the MRI gave any info that coud be related. I am so grateful for this thread.

Unfortunately the MRI was not a complete scan but was just for the areas neck and up so....they didn't scan my back area. I wish I could be of more assistance. Still having the back pain after 1 week. It is moving around a bit....my hips are pelvic bones are in pain at times. It is a little better but still a bit tough to bare at times. I am taking a lot of anti-inflammatory ingredients in my diet to try to help. I am just hoping with time that this will go away. Not a very good answer though.

Hi, I'm sorry for the late reply. All symptoms have gone away! It seems that all is back to normal and hopefully nothing will ever return again. I also had hip and pelvic aches (esp when I was sleeping and pressure was being put on them from laying down). I hope yours gets back to normal soon! I read one post who wrote that hers took up to a year. Thank goodness that didn't happen to me. I drank a ton of water (not sure if this sped anything up but helped me feel like there was something I could do). Good luck, anonymous! Hope yours is back to normal by now and if not yet, then soon. Mine disappeared during week 4.

Hi, any update on your condition? I had the flu shot a few days ago and am having similar back pain.

Anonymous

I always have flu shot done for the last several years or so because I volunteer at Kaiser hospital and after I have flu shot done, I never have any issues with it. And on Friday 10/28/16, I had my flu shot done but later on that day my lower back was hurting me so badly and it's makes me has a super extremely hard time to sit, stand, walk, bending down and so forth and so I tried to take couple pills ibuprofen to help me with my pains and my parents knows that my back was hurting me very much and so they knew that's why I went to bed so much early at around 7pm, and later on I woke up to used the bathroom and my lower back was hurting so me when I tried to sat down on the toilet seat and so later I didn't recall how I ended up sitting in the bathroom floor and then later my parents heard the big noise sound in the bathroom and they came and see what was that noise in the bathroom and then they found that I was sat down on the floor and one of the handle got broke and then they said how I end up on the floor like this and broke the handle and then I said to them I didn't recall how I ended up sit on the bathroom floor and broke the handle and I think I probably felt little weak for little bit and lost consciousness very fast for little bit and I didn't recall exactly how I ended up sit down on the floor and I never have experienced like this ever like this ever in my life lost my consciousness for little bit

Low Back Pain