Low Back Pain

Low Back Pain Guide

ask: Has anyone had severe low back pain after seasonal flu shot?

By jsingh

I took a mandatory flu shot at work Oct. 19, 2009 on my left arm. I had chills and a fever of 102* along with left arm aching pain, and a bout of severe low back pain within the first 2 weeks after receiving the shot. All other symptoms have since dissipated except for the severe low back pain and a strange wobbliness in my legs. The low back pain is bad enough to where I could not move by myself for a week, and now cannot really sit or bend without a high degree of constant pain.

Anonymous

I had a flu vaccine in January 2013 and have had horrific medical bills since. I started with intense muscle stinging in upper back, went into pin pricks in feet, burning feet on the bottoms, then it went systemic with pin pricks in hands and face, weak left arm and toes going numb. Starting March 10 severe crippling lower back pain inhibiting my movement and bending over. Had a cat scan and no kidney stones. It is hard to walk too far as the burning returns. Now it is April and the pain is still with me, lessened a little but still inhibits my movement. I am putting in a vaccine adverse reaction report to find out if it was a bad batch.

Yes, my aunt had similar symptoms after getting the flu shot in 2013

Anonymous

I got this year's flu shot and have severe muscle back pain that will not go away. I am living on Tylenol and Advil everyday and the pain is worsen when I sleep. Anyone with the same symptoms, please advise.

Yes, since my flu shot, I have had unexplained back pains. It appears after I have been sleeping for a few hours, around 3 a.m., every night. Very strange because I can work out, lift my grandchild and conduct my normal activities during the day, but I get them every night.

Go figure!!

Francine, Montreal, Quebec

jsingh (reply to Anonymous)

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine when I got my shot in 2009. You should find out the batch number and the name of the manufacturer of the flu shot that you were given. The following link from the CDC website may be helpful for getting more information on the flu vaccination: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/index.htm
You can also call the number on the website to inquire about the vaccination you got and describe your symptoms, as they keep track and will call you back if they have further information. I found out that I was vaccinated by a bad batch of the vaccine in 2009 manufactured by a particular company. It took six months for my symptoms to get better on their own, but in the interim, my husband had to help me get around as I couldn't walk, or change positions, from sitting to standing or vice versa, on my own without losing my balance or experiencing excruciating low back pain. It was a frightening experience, but I did get better. I am not sure if it has had any long-lasting effects, but do see your healthcare provider if your symptoms persist. Good luck.

Anonymous

If the pain is in your lower back it might involve your kidneys. It could be a form of glommerulonephritis - IgA nephropathy. Basically, when you inject an Antigen into your body (which is what vaccinations do) your body produces antibodies. The antibodies combine with the antigens to form large molecules called immune complexes. These can get stuck in the small vessels of your kidney (amongst other places such as joints) and cause an inflammatory reaction. There is a growing body of research on this side effect of vaccinations. I don't mean to frighten anybody - I think vaccinations are very safe for the most part. Certainly, for some individuals the risk benefit equation makes them truly a life saver (the elderly, immune compromised individuals, etc). Also, the anti vaccine brigade is largely uneducated and potentially dangerous. Imbibing the polio antigen, for example, is FAR safer than contracting the disease. The risks of childhood ilnesses also outweight those of the vaccine. However, making flu shots mandatory for healthy individuals presents an interesting ethical debate. Personally, I am against it. (P.S. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with lymph nodes!)

Anonymous

Probably the lymph nodes in your lower back swelling, which can cause severe lower back pain.

Anonymous

I have back pain and paresthesia in my legs since 12-30-09. I received a shot on 11-26-09. Now I have burning pain in my shoulders and arms.

Anonymous

I am having back pain after my swine flu shot. Not severe, but enough so I am up at 2am reading this post.

jsingh (reply to Anonymous)

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. I actually had severe pain for almost 6 weeks. It's better now, but only after I took 800mg of ibuprofen almost everyday for about two weeks. I didn't go see a doctor, so I am not sure what caused the pain. Hope you feel better soon.