Low Back Pain

Low Back Pain Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: Has anyone had severe low back pain after seasonal flu shot?

By jsingh

I took a mandatory flu shot at work Oct. 19, 2009 on my left arm. I had chills and a fever of 102* along with left arm aching pain, and a bout of severe low back pain within the first 2 weeks after receiving the shot. All other symptoms have since dissipated except for the severe low back pain and a strange wobbliness in my legs. The low back pain is bad enough to where I could not move by myself for a week, and now cannot really sit or bend without a high degree of constant pain.

Anonymous

I also have extreme lower back pain, on the right side. It feels deep down, as if in the bone. Or I feel like if I twist hard enough, I could crack it, and the pain might go away (but not the case). Now the rest of my body is achy also. I received a flu shot on Dec. 1st (today is the 12th). That day and the next, it felt like my arm was going to fall off. Immediately when that pain dissipated, it felt like it went straight into my back. If I do extensive (painful) stretching, it seems to be less intense for a short while, then comes back. Sitting is worse than standing, and it seems to be better if I keep moving around. For the other posts here, how long did your pain last, or is it still present? I'd like to know about how long this lingers, if possible.

Anonymous

I had a flu shot over a month ago, durning the night of my flu shot, my lower back became increasingly more and more achy and when I woke up I was in pretty good lower back pain. Here I am over a month later and I still am suffering from the same lower back pain, only it is getting worse, Bending hurts, sometimes I can't even do that. Sitting, walking, standing hurts, driving is painful let alone getting out of the truck. Nothing and I mean nothing is working to take this away. I will never get a flu shot again it was my first one ever and my last.

Anonymous

I got a flu shot on Nov. 3rd at a Costco and about 45 minutes later I had severe kidney/lower back pain. It was an immediate onset and 5 days later, the pain is still so severe that I cannot bend or get in and out of my car.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Please seek immediate medical attention for these symptoms. You may be having a severe and serious reaction. 

To our readers with low back pain after a flu shot - please report this to your doctor as well as to the government body involved. You can find that link here:

https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

Please keep us posted on what your doctors advice or on anything that has worked to stop this side effect. 

Anonymous

i have lower back pain...3 weeks after shot...

Anonymous

I have had vevere lower back pain since receiving the flu shot 3 days ago.

Anonymous

I got the mandatory flu shot and developed fever and aching the same afternoon. Several days later developed significant lower back pain. I couldn't tell if it was muscle pain or kidneys. Went to the doc in the box and not kidneys. Steroids, icing, and muscle relaxers have helped but still not completely gone a week and a half later. A coworker also developed lower back pain a day after flu shot.

Anonymous

I had a flu vaccine in January 2013 and have had horrific medical bills since. I started with intense muscle stinging in upper back, went into pin pricks in feet, burning feet on the bottoms, then it went systemic with pin pricks in hands and face, weak left arm and toes going numb. Starting March 10 severe crippling lower back pain inhibiting my movement and bending over. Had a cat scan and no kidney stones. It is hard to walk too far as the burning returns. Now it is April and the pain is still with me, lessened a little but still inhibits my movement. I am putting in a vaccine adverse reaction report to find out if it was a bad batch.

Yes, my aunt had similar symptoms after getting the flu shot in 2013