Ears, Nose & Throat

Ears, Nose & Throat Guide

ask: Help with antibiotics for ear infection?

I've taken a weeks course of antibiotics for an ear infection, but my ears still remain blocked up and I can''t hear properly. What can I do? I've tried ear drops but they just block my ears up completely.

Debra

Anonymous

does anybody get sever headaches from this ear infections?
I have been told its meningitis to swine flu to ear infection and still no answer for my severe headache

Anonymous

I'm a day past taking the last dose of my antibiotics for my ear infection. I still can barely hear out of my right ear, which the doc said was the worst out of my double ear infection. I went back yesterday to see him about the constant ringing in my head. Ever since this infection started, I've been hearing a loud ringing. I close both ears at different times and still hear it. It's like the ringing is inside my head. You know, that kind of ringing you hear when everything is absolutely silent. It's starting to get really annoying. Has anyone else ever had this and fixed it?

Anonymous

I can tell when I have fluid build up in my ear. I have had bronchitis, and sinusitis. I have constant sinus drainage and have for about 8 years. When I get sick it gets unbearably thick and turns colors but nonetheless I always have drainage its just usually clear. I wake up every morning with a sore throat. I have a swooshing noise that comes and goes in my ears. I have an ear infection right now and I have been on antibiotics this time for a week today it is not improving. I just finished an antibiotic a few days before the ear infection popped up so maybe Im just resistant, they put me on a different antibiotic. I am so tired of feeling under the weather. I have seen an allergist and am on 2 allergy medications right now but the allergist could not stop the drainage either. I am so frustrated

Coach Virginia

Dear Anon, ear infections are pretty uncommon among adults but they do happen. Are you by any chance a swimmer? Do you have a chronic sinus condition? Do you suffer from ear infections regularly? Do you have any ideas what may have triggered the ear infection?

A while back I had several back-to-back episodes of ear infections which did not go away with several courses of antibiotics. This is typically a sign that the immune system is not responding well to the bacterial threat and its optimal performance may have been depleted by another problem or cause.

In my case it turned out to be mercury toxicity which affected my immune system's ability to fight infection. It was thanks to the ear infection and the non-response to the antibiotics that my doctor started to rule out other possible causes until we found out that the ear infections were just a by-product of the heavy metal toxicity.

I suggest you discussing your situation with your physician and make sure you are taking the right antibiotic. Sometimes people need to take a couple of different ones to find the one that the bacteria is sensitive to. Ask for a culture of any secretions from your ear too. Good luck!

kacy (reply to Coach Virginia)

I have been having ear infection for a week now. I have been taking all sort of antibiotics - my ear is still blocked and. I go the infection following cold any help.
I have been taking three diffirent antibiotics and one ear drop.

Help please.

Diane Porter (reply to kacy)

Kacy,

It often takes more than a week for antibiotics to knock out an infection, especially one that has progressed from a cold. Have you called your doctor to tell them that it's not helping yet?

Are all three of your medicines antibiotics?

Are you having any pain?

Does applying heat to the area help at all?

Anonymous

i would suggest to try the eardoc . do you know it? www.eardoc.info

misvives HERWriter Guide

For the first time in my life, I recently just recovered from a severe ear infection that was not cooperating with antibiotics either. I refused to the leave physician’s office until they found some reason why the ear was so bothersome instead of treating me like another sick person with the flu and send me out the door with another prescription.

The physician actually drained my ear with stuff they use and so much wax came out of my ear, it was pretty disgusting. Warning: this does make you get vertigo extremely bad so make sure you do not drive yourself home.

In my situation, the excess wax was causing the bacteria to manifest itself and it never got better. Once it finally was cleaned out, the infection went away with minimal effort (ear drops).

This is just one suggestion. I hope this helps.

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: