Help Me - Menstrual Cycle - I think something's wrong with me!

I think something is wrong with me, i need your help !
I am 16 years old, and i've had my period off and on for a few years now. Maybe once or twice a year. It seems like i'm so behind on alot of things. My breasts aren't growing at all for one. And i'm just worried. If you could help me out a bit, that'd be great. thank you.

I can relate to your situation. As Susan noted, there may be many reasons that you don't have a normal period and may be growing more slowly than others. I also had many issues with my periods for a very long time. I am 31 years old now, but I did not have normal (monthly) periods until I was approximately 28 years old.

I would have periods periodically, maybe twice a year and I went to my physician. They gave me a pill to start my period although, that still didn't make my period come on a monthly basis. Going back to the physician another time, they placed me on birth control to maintain a normal period on a monthly basis and that worked for many years. I stopped taking birth control myself a few years ago.

Seeing your physician would be very beneficial to you. There are many things they can try to help you to control your period. Don't worry. There was nothing WRONG with me. Actually what my physician told me is that it is very common to have irregular periods, but there are alternatives that they can give you to maintain them.

I hope this helps you and eases your mind. Please let us know what the outcome is.

(reply to Anonymous)

Thank you so much for your words. I definitely feel at ease now thinking that there might really nothing be out of the norm with me. I am overweight and thus don't exercise at all, I was a bum a few years back and I realized now as I think about it, my period was fairly normal in my earlier years but not since 4 to 5 years ago when I started my adolescent rebelling stage -_- And to think a classmate of mine told me a story about her friend that died which was also experiencing irregular periods, and I was seriously troubled with the information I got. But reading your comment, it gave me peace of mind. I've also read some of the other posts in other webpages, and I've found out that I do have quite the number on irregular menstrual cycle causes like stress, anxiety, poor diet and weight gain. I guess I just need to give my body the time it needs to adjust to my new lifestyle change (I developed GERD thus my eating pattern has dramatically changed.)

Firstly, please know that there may be nothing 'wrong' with you - we don't all develop at the same time! Some young women get their periods a lot later than others. Any age between 8-16 falls into the 'normal' category.

However, since you mentioned that you have been getting periods sporadically now for several years, you might want to consider talking to a doctor. Irregular periods (also known as Oligomenorrhea) can be caused by polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or fibroids (tissue growths) or any number of issues that your doctor can explain to you further.

Our website has more on PCOS here : http://empowher.com/news/reproductive-system/ovary-conditions/polycystic...

And here is a story about Fibroids:

Of course, it could be none of the above -

According to womentowomen.com, here are just a few reasons why you could have irregular periods:

-Significant weight gain or loss
-Poor nutrition (or a diet too high in carbohydrates)
-Drug use
-Excessive alcohol use (interfering with how the liver metabolizes estrogen and progesterone)
-Eating disorders
-Increased stress
-Polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance
-Uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis)
-Hormonal imbalance related to perimenopause
-Recent childbirth, miscarriage, or D&C

( www.womentowomen.com )

Do you see any possible links from that list? Do you over exercise, perhaps or do you feel stressed?

I know this is worrisome for you so please talk to an OB/GYN about this so you can get some answers and a little piece of mind. It may be nothing at all or it may be a common health issue that needs a bit of tending to by a professional.

Please keep us posted!