Hemorrhoids and endometrioa

By March 16, 2016 - 7:37pm

I have been diagnosed with an endometrioma and am scheduled to have surgery. However, over the past year, there has been blood showing up in my stool. Initially, there was not any pain with that (the endo is a different story), but it showed up on and off and correlated with very light periods. Now, the hemorrhoids have showed up again, only this time with significant pain. One of them prolasped and there is blood in my stool again. I tried treating at home, but three weeks later, it seems to have worsened. Fortunately, the pain is not nearly as significant as it was, but the hemorrhoid is larger. Can the endo be the root cause of this? If so, would the surgery be the best course of treatment, or should I consult a corectal surgeon for further investigation?

Hi Susan23453!

Thanks for your post and I hope your surgery is successful!

Where is your endo? Is it reproductive endo? There is also bowel and bladder endometriosis that can cause rectal bleeding, digestive distress and hemorrhoids. You should be tested for this.

Even if your endo is in your reproductive organs, it can still reach the bowel and cause pain and problems especially at the time of menstruation.

Hemorrhoids are terribly painful to deal with (as I am sure you know) as is the endo itself. I think it's a very good idea to ask your surgeon about this connection and see if it can be treated at the same time. You may find your bowel distress may end (on it's own) once your surgery is over but you may not want to take that chance, thus risking more treatment.

You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/endometriosis/content/endometriosis-can-reach-your-bowel-and-bladder

Please stay in touch with us!

Endometriosis Guide